U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 07:20 AM

3 posts, read 3,119 times

Advertisements

Normally I would use public transportation, but I couldn't find anything that would drop me off anywhere near this place. I have a form of albinism so, nystagmus and astigmatism. I did explain my visual disability to the interviewer.

All the interviewer said to him was hello. My father then left the conference room and never asked any questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 07:23 AM

3,028 posts, read 1,665,379 times
OP: Yes, I suggest asking your dad to wait in the car. He's not doing you any favors by waiting in the lobby. Good luck.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:24 AM

17,433 posts, read 10,318,924 times
Doesn't look too good bro, but whatever, trying to explain it makes it look worse.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:36 AM

5,006 posts, read 7,347,948 times
Yeeeesh, how embarrassing.

Take an Uber or a cab. Or get a friend to drop you off. Your dad should not be waiting for you in the lobby. If he needs to use the bathroom tell him to drop you off and go find a starbucks or some fast food place to go, but do not have him enter the building. You need to project an image of competence and responsibility and that you handle yourself like an adult....not with Daddy in tow.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:15 AM

9,324 posts, read 8,376,549 times
Tell dad to stay in the car.

That's really weird.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:49 AM

3,806 posts, read 3,024,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponofchoice View Post
As I mentioned in my original post, I have a visual disability and don't drive at the moment. No need for the sarcasm.
Bob's question didn't seem sarcastic to me. You stated in the OP that your vision problem currently prohibits you from driving and you even followed up in the above quote stating you don't drive at the moment. This seemed to imply that this is a temporary condition, so asking if you have been given a date on which you can resume driving seems like a relevant question. Good luck in your interviews.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:04 AM

5,084 posts, read 3,251,066 times
Quote:
Normally I would use public transportation, but I couldn't find anything that would drop me off anywhere near this place. I have a form of albinism so, nystagmus and astigmatism. I did explain my visual disability to the interviewer.

All the interviewer said to him was hello. My father then left the conference room and never asked any questions.
Ummm...If the public transportation system won't drop you near then place, you do realize that either he's got to take you, or you have to walk...which puts a burden on your father...unless he doesn't mind.

As an aside, I never applied for any job that said "We are not near public transportation, so you need to have personal transportation"

That's a code for "We may call you to come in on short notice and need you here in 20 in or less"

Old 03-01-2016, 12:55 PM

17,004 posts, read 20,753,271 times
Quote:
As I mentioned in my original post, I have a visual disability and don't drive at the moment. No need for the sarcasm.

Next time I'll probably just take a cab.

I'm an adult in my early 20's, it's not like I haven't had interviews before. He's only started this recently and these were interviews that would have cost a fortune if I took a cab.

The first interview he surprised me and I didn't introduce him as my father. I thought he was going to wait in the car but he was in the waiting room when I came out of the conference room.

The second one, I wasn't sure where the interview would be conducted as it hasn't been made clear. I also wasn't aware that he had entered the office until he was walking in the conference room behind me. As I was asking him to wait in the car the interviewer showed up.

He's not one of those guys that would stick around for encouragement or want to sit in on the interview. I just feel awful and extremely embarrassed. I'm not some weak minded person who needs mommy and daddy there for encouragement.

I'm just gonna label this a learning experience and try to move on from this.

Why after the first time this happened, did you not say something to your father? Instead you have a repeat of the situation.

It's called communication. You tell your father to drop you off and he can go get something to eat close by(and use their restroom), you figure an hour or so for the interview, when you're done you call/ text him and he picks you up.

After it happened once, you should have said something to him.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:13 PM

5,346 posts, read 5,334,370 times
Just some perspective for you OP - I'm 42 and have interviewed plenty of people. If someone's father was there, I wouldn't think much of it and it definitely would not affect my decision. If you were interviewing someone and their parent was there, would you judge that person with anything because of that? Would it cause you to disqualify them?

I understand your embarrassed and that's fine and understandable but the only affect your fathers presence had on the outcome was if it caused you enough anxiety/embarrassment to affect your own performance on the interview.

Best of luck.

Edit: That said, I don't understand why you can't just talk with your father and ask him to not come in. I'd think he'd understand right?

Old 03-01-2016, 01:30 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,071,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Just some perspective for you OP - I'm 42 and have interviewed plenty of people. If someone's father was there, I wouldn't think much of it and it definitely would not affect my decision. If you were interviewing someone and their parent was there, would you judge that person with anything because of that? Would it cause you to disqualify them?

I understand your embarrassed and that's fine and understandable but the only affect your fathers presence had on the outcome was if it caused you enough anxiety/embarrassment to affect your own performance on the interview.

Best of luck.

Edit: That said, I don't understand why you can't just talk with your father and ask him to not come in. I'd think he'd understand right?
Really?

If someone walks in during your interview or with the person that you are interviewing uninvited, you would not notice?

I would definitely ask them to wait outside at least.

If it was in the lobby I would care less. But in the actual interview room? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or