U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-04-2016, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Michigan
2 posts, read 788 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I have such a skill for developing new ideas, but im only 21 and no college (been kicked out HA).. Help me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2016, 11:55 AM
 
Location: HoCo, MD
4,339 posts, read 7,984,165 times
Reputation: 4756
Quote:
Originally Posted by clkMCMXCIV View Post
I have such a skill for developing new ideas, but im only 21 and no college (been kicked out HA).. Help me!!!
What does that even mean?

I'd think if you really had that skill, you'd use it to help yourself bring said ideas to fruition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2016, 01:44 PM
 
2,614 posts, read 2,240,870 times
Reputation: 4894
Lots of people have great ideas, a good idea isn't valued. What is valued is the person who can raise capital, bring products to market, sales, marketing, relationships etc.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2016, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Planet Woof
3,139 posts, read 3,505,046 times
Reputation: 9889
Many successful entrepreneurs have no college. Many entrepreneurs have ideas, but don't put them into action. What's the old adage? ''Success is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent prespiration.'' or something like that.
As an entrepreneuer you provide goods or services. Think of an area where there is a consumer ''need'' and then figure out a way to meet that need through goods or services. Grocery delivery service? Mobile dog groomer? Mobile bicycle repair? Concierge resume and job coaching service? Roadside mechanic? And on and on.
Get on the Small Business website to get started with the resources you need to start your own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2016, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Houston
287 posts, read 330,000 times
Reputation: 300
A friend of ours was known for her baking. People would buy cupcakes, pies, and cakes from her, and she would bake them at home.

Several years ago, she and her husband opened up a bakery. Six months later it was closed.

That is because baking only constitutes 5% to 10% of running a bakery. The other 90% is marketing, networking, sales, advertising managing finances, etc. The other 90% is a detailed, well-constructed plan.

Most entrepreneurs thumb their noses at learning the other business skills. Some make it, some don't.

The other part that would concern me is that fact that you wrote (Ha) next to getting thrown out of school. From our perspective, it looks you wear it as a badge of honor. We see it as an incredibly important missed opportunity.

I have owned several businesses throughout my life. I had some college, but I immersed myself in books about business. If I was going to spend a dollar on advertising, I wanted to get the best return. I went to seminars on customer service and read articles from visionaries ranging from Harvey McCay to Thomas Peters to Sam Walton to Donald Trump.

In my humble opinion, a business owner with a bad idea but who has educated himself in all of the business disciplines has a much better chance of success than that person with the great idea who is just winging it.

Good luck.

-Buz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top