Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 07:22 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times

Advertisements

My experience for low wage jobs where degrees weren't required, putting my degrees on my ap got me ZERO interviews. I can only conclude they thought it was the classic overqualified, this person will leave as soon as they find something better etc....

You always want to taylor your resume as being the ideal candidate for whatever job you are applying for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 07:23 AM

404 posts, read 366,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Good point. It does generally look better, but the only negative is that the candidate typically has to explain why they aren't pursuing a career related to that degree which often times is not easy in itself.
You are right, i have a degree in History and i hate getting asked why am i nott a teacher

Old 03-10-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I have mixed feelings about listing degrees not necessary for the job. On the one hand, full disclosure is always better. On the other, it might make you overqualified for the job.

There was a period in my life where I wasn't secure. I had just switched career. In an act of desperation, I applied to be a technician. Passed all their tests. Went through 3 managers, all said they recommended me for hire. Then the hiring manager came in and told me outright I was an engineer not a technician. He said I was overqualified for the job and he was afraid I'd leave as soon as I found an engineer position. I hesitated and admitted to him this was the case. He shook my hand and wished me the best. A couple weeks later I was hired by another company as an engineer.
But there are probably an equal number of people who never found that engineering job and would of been happy working as a technician. Especially in today's economy.

Companies look at this situation all wrong.

They have a chance to bring in an overqualified candidate at a cheap price and try them out. They get to start them at the bottom, learn the business from the bottom, and if they are good you have now found a top person without having to pay them top wages, move them up in the company and still get their skills at a cheap price while the person is happy they are working, appreciated, continually earning more, getting promoted etc..... It's a win-win.

Now what if they leave. So what. You already have a ton of turnover anyway, I would rather turnover overqualified candidates instead of lower qualified candidates. While these people are working for you, the over qualified candidate will accomplish more while there.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:29 AM

684 posts, read 713,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
If a job posting doesn't require a college degree, should you just leave it off of your resume/app and not mention it at all?
This just spells it out for you, how useful this degree is, that you would rather people do not know about it.

You know, people hide their criminal records for employment purposes. and now they hide their degrees.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
You are right, i have a degree in History and i hate getting asked why am i nott a teacher
If you have a degree and aren't working in your field of study or applying your degree to something, you are looked at as a failure and we don't hire failures.

At least that is what most people and employers will think.

Of course there are a thousand different valid reasons why someone would be in this situation, but very few if any will take the time to find out.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:04 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I think it depends on what you're applying for. If it's a fry cook position, leave it off. If it's a paraprofessional role or better, I'd generally include it.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:16 AM

671 posts, read 854,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Definitely leave it on. Again, unless you have a very strong idea that it’ll disqualify you as being overqualified.

It doesn’t have to be directly related to say something about you. And it does. You worked for it, you stuck with it. It shows you are able to think and follow through and it shows an important accomplishment that many consider a factor indicative of professional success and good decision making.

I was listening to an interview on the radio the other day where the interviewer was questioning why it makes sense to teach the type of mathematics that are taught (geometry, algebra, calculus, etc.) when most people never really use it in the professional world. And even those who do use software. The guy being interviewed didn’t really give a good answer IMO. The answer is simply because those concepts teach you how to think – both creatively, logically, and in other ways. Education is about a lot more than overt learning.

Best of luck.
Yes.

I would include unless it was an advanced degree that may lead them to think that you are way overqualified.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:27 AM

432 posts, read 359,751 times
Bachelor degrees are so common that I've seen plenty of low-level jobs prefer or require it, just to decrease the number of applicants. Leave a BA (or better, BS) on your resume. Lots of people don't work in the field they study, so just have a good explanation prepared about why you switched career tracks. It'll give you a chance to talk about why you and the job for which you're applying are right for each other.

For an advanced degree, if your hiring manager and potential boss aren't likely to have one, I'd leave it off. But be prepared that they may ask about gaps in employment and lying is inadvisable, so if your education is recent, you should probably be prepared to discuss it.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:42 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,029,608 times
If you want to get a job that's not suitable for you, then leave it off.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:23 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
There has never been a time when I didn't give an edge to a person with a degree over a person without one.

How did I know they had a degree? It was on their resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search