Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 07:39 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post
This just spells it out for you, how useful this degree is, that you would rather people do not know about it.

You know, people hide their criminal records for employment purposes. and now they hide their degrees.
It happens to a lot of Science and even Engineering PhD's. The vast majority of jobs out there especially in industry don't require one and will cause you to get screened out as overqualified, too expensive, to good to do general work etc.

There was a posting where someone suggested this on the science careers forum and the people there yelled at the person and told him he would get fired for lying etc but the OP was having a harder time getting a job with a PhD than if he spent 5 years in prison for a felony that many companies were screening him out.

I am so glad I didn't get my PhD so that I don't have to hide it as if it were a obscene tattoo or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 08:03 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
rare employer who'd rather hire someone without a degree than someone who does have one.
Not rare at all. The HM decides on the optimal education level and anyone below that is rejected as being unqualified and anyone above that is overqualified. I saw it happen again and again to the people from my grad program who got a PhD and then tried to enter the work force.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:53 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Why ever would you leave an accomplishment off a resume?
I suspect the degree holder may view their accomplishment as essentially "overqualified" in the way a lot of hiring managers seem to. Very well qualified for something better, so probably going to quit in a year.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:15 PM

242 posts, read 300,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It happens to a lot of Science and even Engineering PhD's. The vast majority of jobs out there especially in industry don't require one and will cause you to get screened out as overqualified, too expensive, to good to do general work etc.

There was a posting where someone suggested this on the science careers forum and the people there yelled at the person and told him he would get fired for lying etc but the OP was having a harder time getting a job with a PhD than if he spent 5 years in prison for a felony that many companies were screening him out.

I am so glad I didn't get my PhD so that I don't have to hide it as if it were a obscene tattoo or something.
I just got my PhD and this is the problem I am running into right now. I apply to jobs which require a BSc and get labelled as overqualified. I have also heard about people leaving out the PhD when they apply for jobs that don't require one so I think I am going to try this and see what happens.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:16 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I'd leave it on, unless you have a very good notion that it may cause the employer to think you are overqualified.
Won't your degree pop up when the potential employer does a background check?

Old 05-27-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Won't your degree pop up when the potential employer does a background check?
I may be wrong but I don't think they would know who to call if its not listed on the actual application.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:21 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Also, wouldn't you have an employment gap if you took off the degree, assuming that you never held a job while in college?

Old 05-27-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Also, wouldn't you have an employment gap if you took off the degree, assuming that you never held a job while in college?
Sometimes the degree can do more harm than the gap depending on the specific job/employer. Even in this thread, there are stories from C-D users who got zero interviews when listing their degree; and plenty of callbacks when omitting their degree. It just depends. No matter what the gap, always have a good reason.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:34 PM

581 posts, read 664,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I'd leave it on, unless you have a very good notion that it may cause the employer to think you are overqualified.

OP, with the exception of the above reason, why would you EVER leave your degree off of your resume??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search