Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 08:34 AM

102 posts, read 117,444 times

Advertisements

I am applying for entry-level professional jobs, and whatever is below that in the minimum wage no experience category. I was advised to remove my college degree from my résumé. I want my résumé to be searchable by employers and computers. A job requiring a High School diploma will pay more than one requiring a college degree. I do not know how to market myself to highlight that I can pass a drug test and have a High School diploma. Does anyone know how thoroughly an employer will investigate my credentials? Can I make dummy accounts for Indeed, Monster, etc. and post different versions of my résumé? I change my résumé for each job that allows me to fill in each box and add job specific key words, but that is getting overwhelming. I want advice about online job boards, because I want to keep them posted and hope I get lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 08:56 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,812 times
Well, why call them dummy accounts? You are entitled to have different versions of your resume to market yourself. As long as you're not fudging the facts, you're ok. Go for it.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:05 PM

137 posts, read 199,652 times
To answer your questions, you can post several variations of your resume and mostly medium to larger companies will dig deep into your background. The issue will come up when they ask what is the highest level of education you've completed. If you lie and say high school and your college education/ degree comes up, they won't consider you.

Out of curiosity, why are you targeting these jobs?

"entry-level professional jobs, and whatever is below that in the minimum wage no experience category"

Old 04-02-2016, 12:32 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
Can you...I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.
Should you...no.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:07 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaj7 View Post
The issue will come up when they ask what is the highest level of education you've completed. If you lie and say high school and your college education/ degree comes up, they won't consider you.
Good point. Just be honest and tell them that you've completed college but you didn't include it on your resume, as you felt it wasn't relevant to the job at hand.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:52 PM

I need a job, but have had no luck with getting an entry-level position. I thought including a college degree for a fast food job would automatically get your application rejected. I posted a few different resumes on the typical job boards, and today I posted three versions of my résumé on craigslist. Two companies contacted two versions of my résumé, I put different emails with each one. Both are for door to door sales and insurance sales. I wanted to see if putting partial information would create some interest in my skills. I was taking it too literally, because most applications make you certify that you didn't omit anything. I can present myself anyway I want to.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:14 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom628 View Post
I need a job, but have had no luck with getting an entry-level position. I thought including a college degree for a fast food job would automatically get your application rejected. I posted a few different resumes on the typical job boards, and today I posted three versions of my résumé on craigslist. Two companies contacted two versions of my résumé, I put different emails with each one. Both are for door to door sales and insurance sales. I wanted to see if putting partial information would create some interest in my skills. I was taking it too literally, because most applications make you certify that you didn't omit anything. I can present myself anyway I want to.
Tom, you mentioned in one of your previous postings that you met with a professional (or possibly an agency) and they recommended that you leave your college degree off your resume. Did they go in-depth as to their concerns? I'm just curious as to what feedback they shared with you because as someone who recently graduated over a year ago, I may try experimenting with my resumes and leaving my degree off, just to see if I get more hits.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:00 PM

I'll come back here tomorrow and tell you how many responses I received from each résumé post, only one had my degree listed. I have three versions of my résumé posted on careerbuilder, and the one with the least amount of experience and no degree was viewed 30 times, while the one with all my experience and degree was viewed 2 times. I have a case worker at a local job center. She helped me make my résumé searchable by keywords. Many places use computers to look for specific wording. The assumption is that we are worth x amount of dollars and will quit a minimum wage job the second we can get a better job. If the job says a degree is required leave it on, if high school diploma is required make sure you say high school diploma, but not year. I used onet to get the keywords from jobs I've had and my degree and put that in bullet points under experience or skills. My case worker said to change my keywords to reflect the job I'm applying for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search