Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 06:38 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
*Sigh* Why do so many people suggest the military for people who don't have their **** together, like it's reform school and will change the persons life.

You clearly have NO understanding of the actual enlistment process.
It's silly, isn't it? I wouldn't advise anyone to join the military - horrible place, horrible people, horrible mentality - and worst of all, potentially putting your life on the line for unjust or unworthy causes. How many young lives have been wasted over the past 25 years in the name of nothing? How many parents will never see their children again?

No, don't join the military. Volunteer for a charity, or an organisation, gain some experience while doing something good for the community - but don't waste your time joining a malevolent military. Considering the number of unemployed ex-military personnel, you'd only be buying yourself time before you find yourself in the same situation as now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 08:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
How do you qualify for welfare?

Old 03-29-2016, 08:34 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
It's not easy to get on welfare. There are many hoops to jump through. You can't do it without applying and going to interviews and meetings and providing documentation, which is hard to organize. Who helped you with that? Who drove you to the welfare offices? If you are on welfare are you also on Medicaid? If so, why no therapist to help you address your issues?

I don't know where you live, but where I live it's far easier to get a job than to sign up for food assistance. Now holding on to a job is even tougher. But they don't keep you on welfare these days endlessly unless there are reasons. Hasn't anyone at the welfare office demanded that you show proof you're trying to get a job? Have your mental health issues OK'd you for permanent disability? What happened with the county people who got you a temp job once that you say you completed successfully? Where's the follow-up? Go back and see them again. Have you talked to a social worker at Catholic Charities or some other place?

There are far too many unanswered questions here to provide any meaningful help.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:43 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,399 times
Believe it or not, you are very young and there are people out there that have the same bad luck and much older. Just keep plugging along!

The welfare class has exploded in size in the last several years, so statistically we know you are not alone.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:48 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScientiaOmnisEst View Post

Where I am, a skilless college dropout with no work history, I'll take any job.

Is there anywhere I could possibly turn?
Do you have any smaller farms in the area? Offer to much their barns (shovel sh*t). You can be disgusting and still do that job. There's nothing challenging besides a bit of sweat. Do it right and see if there's another he could recommend. You might get on a baling group or spraying for beans, detassling corn or working with livestock. Maybe there's some fence to be put up.

The work is hard but honest. The pay is terrible and hardly worth doing. The ease a man can get working outside with his muscles and in sunlight...that's worth something. Build up your strength, both physically and mentally. It'll give you something to be proud of. Just do that for a spring/summer. You'll have no problem getting entry level jobs after that, because farm hands know how to work and everyone knows that.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:02 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I have felt like that before and now I am in the 1%... Don't put yourself down, there are enough people out there that will do that to you already... For your situation, I recommend a vocational school, learn a skill/trade, and that skill will get you a job... Too many colleges out there that give you meaningless degrees and no real skill... Talk to the plumber, the electrician, the mechanic, whatever trade is in your town... Get the education, get the experience, and maybe, open your own business... The first steps and the last few steps are always the hardest...

Old 03-29-2016, 11:00 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,145 times
Quote:
Maybe turn to a new place. Kind of like you turned to this: "...don't even deserve to live. doing nothing of consequence. I just sort of, keep hoping one of my applications will be accepted, or my interview, when I can get one, isn't a total failure. But I don't even know what I'm doing wrong and it really is starting to look hopeless. I don't know what I'm supposed to do." What could happen if you flip that approach?

Old 03-29-2016, 11:29 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,276 times
First things first. Log-off and put your smartphone or iPad down, or your laptop away.

Get AWAY from it.

Now go in the bathroom, look in the mirror. If you need a shower, take one. Take all the time you need. ENJOY the warm-water. FEEL it. Feel it washing-off the negativity...watch it spiral-down the drain. Turn the water off. Look down...hey...guess what ? The negativity is GONE.

Now dry-off, and take care of your appearance. If you're a guy, shave...that's always a good start. If you're a woman, do something with your hair, something 'conservative'. Now go in your room and find something 'purposeful' to put on.

Grab your coat, slip into your shoes and get outside. If you're trying to save gas-money, go for a walk or a bike-ride. BREATHE deep, breathe easy. Look around. Listen to stuff going on around you. Birds, Traffic, air-craft overhead...notice how 'busy' everyone/everything is.

Don't YOU want to be 'busy' doing something too ? Don't think of it (being busy) as 'draining' or 'exhausting'; think of it instead as being 'productive'. You are doing a 'service' to somebody...or a bunch of somebody's...and as a general rule, we are all PAID for our services (or time-spent) in the service of others.

How will you best 'serve' your immediate area ? Besides 'looking inward' (at yourself) what do you MOST enjoy doing ?

Can you make MONEY doing it FOR somebody ?

If you cannot honestly conjure up something you 'enjoy' doing, then what are you WILLING to do FOR somebody, which you would be reimbursed for, in a weekly or bi-weekly paycheck ?

Based purely on your original posting, there's gotta be SOMETHING you can think of, because CLEARLY you are NOT 'dumb' or 'clueless'.

Hurting, yes indeed you are...but you found the energy to come online, put it into words and post it for the entire world to see...so CLEARLY you've got MORE than enough 'spark' to blow on, and build into a bigger fire. All you're lacking is 'kindling' (constructive ideas) to work with.

I don't think you need 'psychological counseling', and you DEFINATELY do not need the pharmaceuticals that'd be recommended to you.

Human beings are capable of AMAZING things, when they put their heads down and FOCUS on the problem at hand.

Focus.

You're 'focus' determines your 'reality'.

I was taught at a young age to 'allow myself' only SO much time to 'mourn' or 'obcess' over whatever bothered me at the time. After that time was up, I had no choice but to turn those 'emotions' off, get up and GIT AFTER IT !

Is it 'wrong' to turn off one's emotions in order to achieve their goals ? I dunno, hon...look around. What do you see all around you ? Lot's of 'whining' and 'bitching' going on, but does anybody REALLY care ?

The 'short version': The world spins WITH you or WITHOUT you.

Wanna take a RIDE or would you rather stay down below watching everybody ELSE have all the fun ?

It's YOUR choice. Always has been. YOU are the captain of your soul.

OWN IT ! ! !

Now go on and GIT !

:: poke poke poke ::

Old 03-30-2016, 12:35 AM

729 posts, read 429,456 times
Young, never had a job (how could I get one with NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE and NO REFERENCES)...I've definitely been there. Never had welfare though ( I was too lazy to even try to get welfare. Ironic, right?). Although I wouldn't have been very proud of myself getting welfare, standing in long lines, etc. I wanted to be in the workforce. I just didn't know how to get there, especially with very little on my resume other than an associate's degree in graphic design... I wanted to work, I was just so naive when I should have been making better decisions, like a better major, less expensive college (I went to Art Institute...). Hopefully you'll find something. Hopefully it'll come to you.

Last edited by Manimuni; 03-30-2016 at 01:30 AM..

Old 03-30-2016, 12:47 AM

417 posts, read 345,607 times
Quote:
It often seems like I'm the only person who didn't start working at 15 and can't get a job at all. I dropped out of college following some psych issues (the pattern of falling apart and dropping out happened twice), and lived at home for two hellish years. I admit, my job searches were feeble then, partly because there isn't much I can do (I don't even have a driver's license), partly because I kept thinking I would go back to school, and partly from sheer laziness and not caring. Even now I have a hard time caring, despite knowing every day I'm the worst, most despicable human being to ever exist.

After dropping out again, I lived at home, supported by my mother. Who I desperately wanted to get away from, and did, by running away and getting myself on welfare, after taking two years to bankrupt her (her words). The constant fighting, constant legal threats or threats to have me "put away", and my own emotional dysfunction was unbearable. Yes I'm weak and disgusting. Every job application has been rejected. I've been welfare trash for almost a year now, the one job offer I get was virtually impossible to get to and from so I had to turn it down. Everything else, even the mindless, anyone-can-work-there places reject me within hours of submitting my application. I have no idea what's wrong. I've only had one job, and it was a 2 month temp position given to me by a county "work experience" program. I did great, no problems at all,a but it ended and I've been unemployed for three months now.

Where I am, a skilless college dropout with no work history, I'll take any job. Labor, cleaning, service, though I've found myself applying for a number of clerical positions too. I often have to turn positions down because I can't get there - and seeing as I need to rely on internet surveys for enough money for personal products, the odds of getting enough cash for a driving course is low. I've even tried offering freelance services - cleaning, yard work, babysitting, even more personal things like writing and editing. No takers.

Most of my free time (and I have days worth of it) is spent online, reading, watching videos, talking to people, over thinking abstractions in relation to my life, doing nothing of consequence. That's what I did at home, too, when I didn't have chores to work on. I hate the way I live and hate what I am. I'm considering killing myself if this goes on much longer. I know by this point I don't deserve success or self-sufficiency. I know I'm a failure, a leech, a welfare abuser, the absolute scum of society and don't even deserve to live. I just sort of, keep hoping one of my applications will be accepted, or my interview, when I can get one, isn't a total failure. But I don't even know what I'm doing wrong and it really is starting to look hopeless. I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

I think your problem is that employers can see you **** poor attitude, if you go into a job interview with a bad attitude and act depressed and hopeless GUESS WHAT they aren't going to hire you! Honestly I would never hire you, you are high risk. You don't have a drivers license that's the first thing employers look for even with high school students, ALL jobs are looking for people with reliable transportation. Get your drivers licences then reapply to the same places, employers like people who care enough to call them, send them emails, be aggressive. Take some typing or excel classes at a local community college, they will set you apart from other candidates and will show employers you care about something. I think while you are doing that find some work on craigslist, I know you said no ones replying so this is where we go back to making yourself look competitive, use words to make yourself sound better without fudging the truth. Instead of using craigslist to find jobs go on Facebook to your community page because I am sure you have one and put out a post like, "anyone looking for date night, I'd be wiling to babysit." something like that, or go to your local library or grocery store and they normally have flyers for jobs. Be proactive and keep your head up. I believe a good attitude will always help find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search