Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2016, 03:13 PM

289 posts, read 504,729 times

Advertisements

I applied for a job several weeks ago and got contacted by someone from the company asking if I'd like to have an interview. I barely remember the job and can't find a description of it anymore to check and see if I'm even interested in it at this point. What was off-putting to me, though, was the email itself. It was chock full of grammatical errors and included a smiley emoji. I know this person who threw the email together was probably busy and did it in a hurry, but am I wrong for finding it off-putting that an email would be so poorly rendered? And an emoji just seems weirdly unbusiness-like to me. I've never received an email like this from any company before. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 03:49 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello View Post
I applied for a job several weeks ago and got contacted by someone from the company asking if I'd like to have an interview. I barely remember the job and can't find a description of it anymore to check and see if I'm even interested in it at this point. What was off-putting to me, though, was the email itself. It was chock full of grammatical errors and included a smiley emoji. I know this person who threw the email together was probably busy and did it in a hurry, but am I wrong for finding it off-putting that an email would be so poorly rendered? And an emoji just seems weirdly unbusiness-like to me. I've never received an email like this from any company before. Any thoughts?
I worked with a recruiter like this. Kind of wondering if this is her.

It doesn't speak well of the company if their "face" can't compose an appropriate email.

Also, you should be keeping track of the jobs you apply for. As a recruiter, I was automatically turned off if the candidate didn't care enough to even remember what the job was. It told me that they weren't really that interested or weren't organized. It was usually an automatic pass.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
As a recruiter, I was automatically turned off if the candidate didn't care enough to even remember what the job was. It told me that they weren't really that interested or weren't organized. It was usually an automatic pass.
I'm thinking that because I did delete the information I had on this position, it probably was because I wasn't very interested in it. The email thing put me off even more.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:43 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,063 times
Default Put Off By Recruiter's Email

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello View Post
I'm thinking that because I did delete the information I had on this position, it probably was because I wasn't very interested in it. The email thing put me off even more.
No offense but I think that is very amusing-

You tossed the lead and then reacted negatively to a smiley and some text errors.

Oh, well......

Old 03-31-2016, 06:17 PM

137 posts, read 199,652 times
Was there no indication of the position in the email you received? If you're now reconsidering the opportunity look up the company and then do a search in your email for the company name. You can also check out their website and see if any vacancies catch your eye.

I would first verify this is legit. My sister got an email like that last year and she couldn't remember applying for a job that was remotely similar to the email. She chose not to reply.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadhunterPaul View Post
No offense but I think that is very amusing-

You tossed the lead and then reacted negatively to a smiley and some text errors.

Oh, well......

Actually I read the email not knowing where it came from and cringed a little at its structure, and then I asked myself "What job was this even for again?" It's not that I was trying to come up with an excuse not to like the job. I'm pretty sure I had a reason for that already...I just forgot it (insert in actually appropriate, non-corporate correspondence context).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search