Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 02:17 PM

8 posts, read 5,226 times

Advertisements

Hi wanted to get some advice on I graduated with bachelor in business administration , currently working in the manufacturing industry as a line supervisor. I want to do something that will potentially boost my career, I have been looking into getting a masters certificate in supply chain management.

How hard is it to get a job in SCM field even though I don't have any experience ?
What other stuffs I need to know supply chain management?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 02:36 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Go to indeed.com and look for SCM jobs to see what qualifications are required. How feasible is it for you to get those qualifications?

Old 04-04-2016, 03:42 PM

Thank Charlygal. I did read a lot of information on it; but I wanted to know what you guys think about it. From your experience is it a good choice?

Last edited by userblo; 04-04-2016 at 04:06 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 04:09 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by userblo View Post
Thank Charlygal. I did read a lot of information on it; but I wanted to know what you guys think about it. From your experience is it a good choice?
It's a good choice for those that make it work for them.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:43 PM

856 posts, read 1,051,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by userblo View Post
Hi wanted to get some advice on I graduated with bachelor in business administration , currently working in the manufacturing industry as a line supervisor. I want to do something that will potentially boost my career, I have been looking into getting a masters certificate in supply chain management.

How hard is it to get a job in SCM field even though I don't have any experience ?
What other stuffs I need to know supply chain management?
User,

Supply Chain is happening now so it is a good career path.

However, in order to create value for yourself.....so you can create additional value for an employer, I strongly suggest you be sure that your next employer has a Six Sigma culture/infrastructure, trains and certifies its employees as Green Belts and Black Belts. Usually a strong Six Sigma company also trains for Master Black Belt certification.

Your Six Sigma (and Lean Methods/TPS) training will enable you to become a multiplier.

Now, you can get that training online but that is a mistake-

Even those who take an online course through the American Society of Quality are not held as in high esteem as someone who was certified by an employer who has an active Six Sigma culture.

The reason for this is because as a SSBB/SSMBB, you are expected to initiate Change which is referred to as Process Improvement. Executing PI usually involves changing processes to gain additional profitability, among other things.

So, in order to be a 'successful' SSBB, you must be someone who can lead people through change.

You must be someone who can work with a diverse group of people, all with varying agendas, in order to create a focus that results in process improvement = change = increased product quality/profitability.

Change may and often will require the SSBB to overcome Resistance to Change. It could be cultural change/a company-wide philosophy that needs adjusting/changing and it could mean you will be faced with individuals who drag their feet and are not, at the onset, willing to modify/change their work habits and or work philosophies.

Attaining a SSBB and being able to show meaningful metrics means you can handle resistance to change without people pulling their hair out and/or quitting on you.

It also means you can successfully explain reasons why a company and/or individual should accept and adopt change.

Getting certified in SS by completing online, workbook assignments means you did not work in an atmosphere that was adverse to change. You will not have had the experience of executing change.**

Once you are SS trained, you will know how to systematically recognize opportunities for improvement, resolve quality/process issues and subsequently increase profitability.

So, you take the SS courses to learn how to become a center of influence- someone who can lead groups and individuals to adopt and execute change that leads to, as I said, increased profitability.

The Six Sigma 'toolset' applies to all industries. So in order to become a 'competitive' candidate working in SCM, you need an edge. Six Sigma training will give you that edge and make you a candidate for consideration who can reasonably be expected to significantly increase an employer's profitability.

This puts you ahead of candidates who do not have SS training.

Now, it should be said that if you are not already a 'people person', if you do not already have a capacity for leadership, becoming Six Sigma trained may not change that.

So you will suck at overcoming resistance to change and may not achieve metrics that are meaningful.

You will be a 'technician' who can get a certain amount done but you won't be a top tier person and subsequently, may not become a top tier executive and you may even not be able to achieve Master Black Belt certification.

This applies also to the PMP certificate. A PMP who cannot motivate people will not be as effective in Project Management as someone who is a leader type.

**Some online courses have you do 'actual' (not virtual) projects onsite/at an employer's facility.

I know I, as usual, 'talked a lot' but I hope you do your research and then pick your next employer partly based on the fact they have a Six Sigma culture and provide both SS training and certification.

(There are those who will say that 'Six Sigma' has had its day; that it is a fad and has 'come and gone' but that is not true. Just look at all the jobs that are out there for SSBB's, SSMBB's, Process Improvement leaders, Operational Excellence executives and you will see there is plenty of opportunity for you to make your mark using your SS training.)

In most cases, your being a certified SS leader will get you a salary greater than if you did not have the training.

A source for research is isixsigma.com and asq.org

Paul.......

Last edited by HeadhunterPaul; 04-04-2016 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: text edit

Old 04-05-2016, 12:04 PM

Can you (someone with SCM degree) please talk about your experience, pros an cons about supply chain management.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:52 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
Well I did an experiment. I was trying to switch careers and put down I had a masters certificate in a subject and never got any interest. I changed it to masters degree and started getting interviews. Most people didn't really understand what a masters certificate is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search