Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 09:45 AM

696 posts, read 906,855 times

Advertisements

A staffing firm contacted me about a contract position at a very low billing rate that would convert to full time after three months. I go to the interview at the client and find out the position is a straight contract for 3 - 4 months with no possibility of going full time. The client calls the staffing firm recruiter within a couple of hours of the interview to say they wanted me; the recruiter then calls to offer the "position". I told him I was declining and he is gets pi**y with me for refusing the "offer". He tries to tell me I am "obligated" to accept the position since I agreed to interview. I tell him I have as much right to decline an offer as the firm has to NOT make an offer. He then tries to guilt me out that I put him "on the spot" with the client because they cancelled other interviews after speaking with him. I then suggest he have the client reschedule the cancelled interviews, told him to have a nice day, and hung up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 09:59 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
You are lucky the client was honest with you. A lot of the clients collude with the agency to lie and tell you it is a temp-to-perm position when by and large they are almost always crappy contract jobs with the to hire being used as bait and a carrot on the end of a stick to sucker the worker into taking the job and being motivated.

I posted a stat over and over again on a study by the WE Upjohn Institute for employment research that only 27% of these "temp-to-hire" jobs actually turn permanent.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:54 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I posted a stat over and over again on a study by the WE Upjohn Institute for employment research that only 27% of these "temp-to-hire" jobs actually turn permanent.
True, but is the reason for that more the fault of the employee or the employer? Companies say it is the worker not picking up their part of the bargain (tardiness etc)

Old 04-19-2016, 03:12 PM

429 posts, read 390,813 times
staffing agencies are used car salesmen.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
True, but is the reason for that more the fault of the employee or the employer? Companies say it is the worker not picking up their part of the bargain (tardiness etc)
I seriously doubt that 73% of workers in temp to hire jobs are not up to par performance wise. Maybe if it was reversed and 27% get let go for performance reasons I'd buy that not 73% no way. That is corporate fraud.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:07 PM

come on people....everybody and their grandmother knows that "temp to perm" is the carrot they dangle in front of your nose to get you to stay there..To get you to NOT look for other permanent offers while you're there. They want to completely own you while you're on their clock and off. And they don't want you to have any other big ideas such as getting a REAL job offer. Also, if you believe that rubbish, you will perform better and try to impress them in the mistaken belief that they will keep you 'cos you "stood out from the herd." RUBBISH. They're using you. You are disposable.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:43 PM

278 posts, read 335,963 times
on top of that, most of the time, no health benefits, no PTO, no paid holidays, no sick days, no 401K, no end of year bonus, and no respect

Old 04-19-2016, 05:07 PM

you're the migrant worker in the office cubicles.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:23 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I seriously doubt that 73% of workers in temp to hire jobs are not up to par performance wise. Maybe if it was reversed and 27% get let go for performance reasons I'd buy that not 73% no way. That is corporate fraud.
wrong. It is often a temporary need, FMLA and other reasons staff take off periods of time and must be backfilled.
In all liklihood, 27% includes sizeable % of "make a role" for excellent temps.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:20 AM

IF it is a temporary need they need to be upfront and say it is a temporary need and ensure they and the agency are paying the appropriate premium to attract someone into such a short term job. Claiming it is temp to hire when you have no intention of doing so is fraud. The stat specifically looked at temp-to-hire jobs.

The majority of temp jobs I've seen in my profession have not been temporary needs. They are permanent needs where the company just doesn't want to hire and pay benefits. A lot of the big corporations especially are churn and burn permatemp Sh*tholes.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 04-20-2016 at 07:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search