Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 02:37 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,635,983 times

Advertisements

Years ago I was applying for a summer law clerk position with a Chicago judge. He stared down at my chest and said "When can they...you start?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 03:14 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Several decades ago, when I was seeking my first teaching job, the interviewer in the first district to which I applied informed me that I had to fill the previous position holder's job description precisely.
"Okay, what are the specifics?", I asked.

I was told that the person whom I would be replacing had taught 3 sections of US History, and two sections of World Geography. "No problem!", I interjected, because my undergraduate major had been history, and I was also certified to teach Geography.

Then, the interviewer continued, "...and he was our Head Football Coach, so that would be your extracurricular assignment."

My response was, "Trust me, if you want a winning season, you don't want me to be your Head Football Coach. Perhaps...an assistant line coach...but not the head coach". I was then informed that I wouldn't be considered to be qualified for that teaching position, as I had to fill that Head football coaching position--no ifs ands or buts.

Ironically, several weeks later, after I had signed a contract to teach in a different district, I received a phone call from the first interviewer, stating that I was their number 1 prospect for the job opening, and that--on second thought--I wouldn't have to be their Head Football Coach. Very politely, I informed the gentleman that I had already signed a contract with a different school district.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:16 PM

732 posts, read 968,177 times
I had an interview a few months ago where they asked me about 5 questions about the last employee in that position. It went on so long I just could not imagine what had happened, obviously things did not work out with them but I really had no knowledge about it or the issues that happened. They were quite serious about it too, this guy would do this and that what do you think about that?, he turned off his cell on the weekend will you do that? Geez, I was not too sure about so many questions about the last employee as I had never gotten that. This was at a big university in Orlando.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:20 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
I had an interviewer make some incendiary comments about my resume when he asked me where I wanted to be in my career in the next five years. "You'll never get there in TEN YEARS!" Five years later, I was exactly where I wanted to be, and I'm dead serious, he sent his resume to our company, for a manager's position I had listed. I toyed with the idea of getting him in for an interview, pretending to suddenly remember interviewing with him while we were talking, then shift gears by mentioning that I proved him wrong, and that the interview was over because he was obviously a poor judge of people, not to mention an idiot.

If it had been my company, I would have done it.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:23 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
During another interview for a teaching position, the Superintendent of Schools (who seemed to be...off...from the very first moment) asked me about my favorite course that I had taken as a History major. My response was "The History of Southeast Asia", which I had studied just one semester earlier.

The Supt's response was, "Did you learn about the culture and history of Korea?". Since Korea is most definitely NOT located in Southeast Asia, I had a hard time coming up with an answer, other than one which would inform him that his understanding of geography was just as much "off" as was his personality. So, rather than correct him, I simply said something along the lines of...We spent most of the semester learning about French Indochina and Siam...

He was a very strange man, and I was extremely glad when the interview was over.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:29 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
Do you have a girlfriend?

If you could be one animal, what would it be?

Old 04-22-2016, 05:36 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
So I breeze through the interview like the champ that I am, top of my game and capable of anything. It's a phone interview with a panel of people sitting around (probably a conference table) at the other end of the line. Interview is pretty much over - the required questions have been asked and answered.

And here comes Billy Bob. I can almost see him winking, elbowing and head gesturing to the others "Can you swing a hammer?"

Okay that threw me. I try to maintain my dignity. (It has nothing to do with the job) "I'm not a carpenter if that's what you mean."

"But can you swing a hammer."

"It's not at the top of my list of skills but I can pitch in when necessary."

"But..." OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, Billy Bob! What are you asking me? If I'm in shape? If I'm a lesbian? WTH???

The question baffled me so bad I was pretty much speechless after that.

I got off the phone and talked to my other half and he said "You should have told him you just finished helping me roof this place" Which I had. DOH!

Old 04-22-2016, 06:33 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
I interviewed once with the entire team I hoped to work for. They asked their questions, I answered them, and then the supervisor said "We have just one thing more we want to know..."

...Everyone on the team leaned forward eagerly...

"What do you think of Dr. M., who you worked for from 1997-2006? What is the matter with that guy?"

NEVER been asked such a loaded question by someone who had nothing on earth to do with the job I was applying for. They appeared quite dissatisfied by my bland, non-committal answer. (One they hired me I was happy to fill them in.)

Old 04-22-2016, 06:46 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I've been asked if I had children (illegal)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Yes, these questions about marriage and children are technically illegal, .
No, these questions are not technically illegal. Technically, the questions are legal, but using the information gained from them in order to discriminate against a protected class is illegal.

It's not wise to ask these questions, but it's not illegal.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:49 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Years ago I was applying for a summer law clerk position with a Chicago judge. He stared down at my chest and said "When can they...you start?"

Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search