Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2016, 09:25 PM

853 posts, read 648,314 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

Good news, I will have an interview soon and I need your support, advice to have chances. Unfortunately, I have had very few interviews and I don´t have much experience with them because nowadays It´s even hard to have any feedback.

About the company: One of the largest (if not the largest one) of auditing and consulting with massive presence around the world. Due to my previous experience, it´s for the energy sector. It´s maybe the best opportunity I will have, I need to do the best I can.

About how I got this interview: 100% networking through Linkedin. I just have had a cold calling with a director. (see Linkedin - does it work last message) The position is for Mexico City, they are willing to process me a work permit (remember I come from Spain). Because I am living in a small town in Mexico, the interview will be through Skype, they don´t have any problems to do so. They have two openings right now for energy sector.

Any advice, opinion, tips would be appreciated. The first interview will be the next monday (not tomorrow).

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 05:38 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,453 times
http://youtu.be/PICT5WfhPpc

Old 04-25-2016, 06:24 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
i thought you said before you were a chem eng or something, at least not in auditing/finance. you may want to brush up on the lingo they use if they have any, not my field but every job has their own terminology so it is expected they want to hear specific things out of you. and if you dont have the background, you would be hard pressed to know it when they bring it up?

Old 04-25-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
i thought you said before you were a chem eng or something, at least not in auditing/finance. you may want to brush up on the lingo they use if they have any, not my field but every job has their own terminology so it is expected they want to hear specific things out of you. and if you dont have the background, you would be hard pressed to know it when they bring it up?
Yes, I am a Chemical Engineer but I worked in different roles in the past because It was this or having nothing to do (Spain is another issue if you have a contact you work, otherwise you will be unemployed). I have experience as Business Development of power generation plants, 1 year, is the best experience I have and the reason I am firing in every country I can and certainly I am having opportunities, this morning I have been notified for an interview for Ireland in a good company based in Cork. Why this director is interested in me? Because I conducted market studies of power generation worldwide and is exactly what they do in that company (now I am speaking about Mexico opportunity).

I got this opportunity by networking in Linkedin, I am trying every approach I have in mind to work anywhere, I am applying in Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, UK, US, Canada, Brazil, Argentina, China and I am planning India as well.

Because I am having good feedback in Ireland I will try hard in that country. Also, I am focusing in Process Engineering which is related to my field. I had this opportunity because I have a huge linkedin network and is giving me good results, more than 1200 contacts right now and sometimes CEOs, Managers and Directors want to add me so I make a profit of that and I contact them. If they have something interesting to offer me I am willing to go anywhere.

Last edited by Jorge ChemE; 04-25-2016 at 09:12 AM..

Old 04-25-2016, 10:12 AM

1,184 posts, read 720,377 times
Make sure the room you are skypeing from is quiet and background is neat...and no one in your home is downloading/watching netflix or something that will slow the connection down. Try to practice a few times with friends. Good luck

Old 04-25-2016, 10:29 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
I got this opportunity by networking in Linkedin,
um, you said it was a cold call. AFAIK, that is not networking. Adding people to a website and calling them a "contact/friend" is not networking. But if you think you can get job, go for it.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
um, you said it was a cold call. AFAIK, that is not networking. Adding people to a website and calling them a "contact/friend" is not networking. But if you think you can get job, go for it.
Yes, I know It. The only true networking I had was in Spain, I got in a large contractor thanks to a father´s friend. I know it´s not the best approach and I am only doing that in Mexico, in the rest of the countries I am only applying for jobs. At least by this way I know about internal positions that are not published anywhere and It´s also a good way to understand the real situation of the companies.

Now I am changing my strategy and I am firing CV (tailoring of course) to any place like my compatriots have done and are doing. Currently there are spaniards in a lot of countries, most succeded in Europe, others in Middle East, South America and Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search