Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 12:18 PM

486 posts, read 992,342 times

Advertisements

...and it is going to be one long, tough ride.

Or, maybe not?

Yes, I am once again looking for a job. I have been working contract jobs for the past few years, and those jobs have now disappeared. I guess it is time for me to find a stable, hopefully, full-time job. I am mainly looking for database/analyst jobs, office admin jobs, graphic artist/animator jobs, customer service jobs. All areas I have experience (at least I think so).

This time I am going to document my job search in my own city-data blog (click the blog icon near my name if you are really bored and have lots of time to kill).

I figure if I document what I do in my job search, I can see what I am doing right and/or wrong and just maybe, the universe will push some positive job energy in my direction. Plus, I am kind of old, so I forget who/what/where I have applied to, and documenting my job search experience helps me to remember login passwords, job titles, the resumes/cover letters I sent, etc.

I think my job search data/blog might be kind of interesting (ok I am a database person, so anything data related peeks my interest). It also might help other people here on City-Data with regard to their job searches.

All advice is welcomed! I am going to be positive, but also realistic/with some humor thrown in during my job search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 01:40 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
I would recommend removing your photo and other identifying info if you don't want your blog considered by potential employers, especially if you're gonna refer to yourself as old and kind of forgetful.

Good luck!

Old 04-27-2016, 10:49 PM

61 posts, read 42,892 times
Peebola, you are such a cloon. But I am pushing some positive universe job juice energy your way today.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I would recommend removing your photo and other identifying info if you don't want your blog considered by potential employers, especially if you're gonna refer to yourself as old and kind of forgetful.

Good luck!
Thanks! I am going to need some good luck along with the hard work that goes into looking for a job.

As to removing my photo, I am not worried about potential employers finding it. I don't have my real name on the blog, or my street address or my resumes. Unless they have photo recognizing software (does that exist outside of the "Criminal Minds" TV show?) I doubt potential employers will find my blog on City-Data by my photo and screen name alone. Plus I don't have a Facebook account (creepy, I know), that is the go to place many potential employers search potential job applicants.

Anyway, I think photos should be on resumes. [I know, that is taboo] In reality, looks account for a lot when searching for a job or doing anything in this world. I am not saying I am good looking [hell, I am old], but to put a face to a resume may help to get one's foot in the door (or not). Just my warped opinion anyway.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke_D View Post
Peebola, you are such a cloon. But I am pushing some positive universe job juice energy your way today.
I am a "cloon!"

Well, I do animate funny cartoons that no one watches...but that is a sad story for another day. Maybe not.

I know, many people will tell you, you need to be very serious when looking for a job, but looking for a job is hard work, plus you are going to get a lot of rejections, go on some really stressful interviews (if you are lucky), and you have to sell, sell, sell yourself.

I have to throw some humor in while I am looking for a job or I will be in the tub contemplating my final exit.

I guess that is why I decided to post a blog about my job search. I figure if my job search blog makes one person laugh, that is good enough for me. Plus, documenting my job search may really push some positive universe job juice energy my way. Affirmations, Law of Attraction, you know, the whole nine yards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search