Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 09:01 AM

730 posts, read 962,252 times

Advertisements

So just had a phone interview for what all the descriptions talked about was my area, engineering and equipment interfacing. Also imaging and image processing. Great done that, can answer any and all in that area. Most of interview was in fact about that, programming and so on related to that. I can help them.

Then the third person, clearly IT who obviously hates engineers got on the phone. Nowhere in the description is the position an IT position but this guy spent the whole time asking me IT and database questions, specific ones about some Microsoft tool. Nowhere in the description or even what the others in the interview talked about. The position is engineering not IT. I have certainly talked SQL to all kinds of systems and sent data 100 differing ways to Oracle, Excel, etc but I am not an Oracle or Microsoft certified database type developer. But he wasn't happy, he had specific algorithms he used in developing some sort of database he wanted to see if I knew. I am sure I could learn his little algorithm but he clearly was not happy that I could not address it immediately from experience. But since that isn't even what the job is, it came across pretty confusing to me. The others in the interview sort of understood he was asking questions about another position, but they didn't stop him.

Are these IT department that desperate that they try to steal engineers and convert them to IT during interviews?

Last edited by TestEngr; 05-05-2016 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 09:35 AM

973 posts, read 908,701 times
Sounds to me like two things. They wanted to see how you react being flustered and under pressure...or the doofus from IT is a complete pompous idiot. Not like IT is a glorified job title anyways...

Old 05-05-2016, 10:05 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,430,087 times
I would have just chimed in and asked if the SQL and database questions were part of the qualifications required for the engineering position you were being interviewed for.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:35 AM

730 posts, read 962,252 times
Thanks for the inputs.

I tried to deflect it as best as I could and did ask if that was what the position required since it isn't in the description, but he just said he needs to know my understanding of fundamentals of Microsoft database systems. He didn't act on my deflection and again asked more Microsoft specific tool database questions. I offered to help anyway I could. I could tell since I don't know the details of the Microsoft tool he uses, and that I could not answer his questions at all, that he didn't like it. So he seems to be genuinely be thinking I was disqualified immediately even though it wasn't listed in the job. So in this guys mind it was required it seems.

Or maybe it was a pressure check, who knows. It is definitely best that IT not determine what engineers get the job and since this guy didn't know engineering he asked what he knew. Oh well... we will see, I was real interested in position from first two interviewers but after the third I was not actually sure. Though I did offer to help anyway I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search