Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 03:43 PM

404 posts, read 366,559 times

Advertisements

Now I know the idea of "Good job" is subjective, but hear me out pls.

This is all that I am looking for,

1. Professional position for employment, preferably white collar work.

2.Average salary, preferably $15/hr, heck, I would probably take 13 at the lowest tbh.

3. People that GET ALONG, no fighting, backstabbing, office politics

4. Good morale in the workplace,

5. Not be lied to about promotions/have good growth opportunities and not have managers holding you back.

6. DECENT MANAGEMENT, not someone that uses passive aggressive attacks to get their point across or has some sort of personal agenda against you. I swear I am actually afraid of management at any job I am for that very reason. Its rare that I actually trust them.

I am not asking for 60k, a company car, and a corner office in a high rise building. It just seems to me that a lot of jobs today are just crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 04:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Office politics are in every company. It's up to you to ignore or rise above it.

All the rest is achievable.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:09 PM

1,274 posts, read 978,310 times
$15/hour? How many hours do you expect to work at that salary?
I am not sure what bothers you that much with office politics. In a white collar job, they are inevitable, and you'll find a way to get through that in a smart way.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:12 PM

404 posts, read 366,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Office politics are in every company. It's up to you to ignore or rise above it.

All the rest is achievable.

It is achievable but it hasn't happened yet, for me and many others. It just seems that a lot of jobs are not like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
$15/hour? How many hours do you expect to work at that salary?
I am not sure what bothers you that much with office politics. In a white collar job, they are inevitable, and you'll find a way to get through that in a smart way.
I just ignore it tbh, but the politics was only one part, I have yet to find a job that doesn't have these issues, expecially the last ones.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:17 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
Now I know the idea of "Good job" is subjective, but hear me out pls.

This is all that I am looking for,

1. Professional position for employment, preferably white collar work.

2.Average salary, preferably $15/hr, heck, I would probably take 13 at the lowest tbh.

3. People that GET ALONG, no fighting, backstabbing, office politics

4. Good morale in the workplace,

5. Not be lied to about promotions/have good growth opportunities and not have managers holding you back.

6. DECENT MANAGEMENT, not someone that uses passive aggressive attacks to get their point across or has some sort of personal agenda against you. I swear I am actually afraid of management at any job I am for that very reason. Its rare that I actually trust them.

I am not asking for 60k, a company car, and a corner office in a high rise building. It just seems to me that a lot of jobs today are just crap.
Very reasonable requirements, and I believe there are many companies like that,

The problem is that the jobs who suck, have a much higher replacement rate. They also have lower requirements, because they need to replace people faster and many potential candidates can notice they are not a good place to work for.

If you struggle to get work, and is forced into those jobs, then you should update your skills. If you do have options, then you need to research more before accepting a job offer. Many articles talk about how to find good work enviroments.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:22 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
I find generally that the higher the wages, more flexible leave, benefits, etc, the happier the office staff are. Lower wages don't generally attract great employees. I work in education and it's professional, but they wouldn't be there without the $60k (min).

Old 05-05-2016, 04:32 PM

29,808 posts, read 24,880,628 times
You need a skill set of some kind. Otherwise, you end up with a generic job working with generic people.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
You need a skill set of some kind. Otherwise, you end up with a generic job working with generic people.
Yes. The person I recently hired, and started Monday is 23, is starting at $25/hour with great benefits, but she has the skills required for the job, and great enthusiasm for the work. Unlike most of the other 27 people that applied, some with many more years experience, other not even meeting the minimum requirements. I only interviewed 4.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:18 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,660 times
Why is it hard to find A job (one I can tolerate obv)? I don't care about the boss. Mentally abuse me every day just give me a chance. I can take it like a man even though I am a woman.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:33 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,122 times
It doesn't sound like you have high standards. $15 isn't much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search