Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 10:17 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,897,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc60 View Post
I agree with you LizfromtheBronx. I'm in the same boat but different industry/career. It's rough out there right now the experience/salary that companies are asking for has changed dramastically. 80k+ for 10yr+ exp is normal but now they realized they can find someone who will take less. The applicate pools are getting bigger every year new graduates enter. Civil Service isn't the answer - I made that more 10yrs ago n now I'm stuck and no raises have been given to anyone. I'm competing with younger candidates because they make the same or more than me. Stick to your guns - hopefully you find something. But note: don't stay anywhere if you're not getting raises or promotions, this only makes you less marketable.
I have no doubt that I can get it - it's NYC after all. Land of the overpaid - this is actually completely reasonable in relative terms lol. I have been promoted and raises but did not get a COL raise this year bc my manager was in a snit about something. So....off I go. How'd that work out for ya, boss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 11:36 AM

Just a quick update - since my last posting, I have continued applying for anything that seemed a good fit (what I want to do is a slightly niche area of marketing so openings aren't as common).

Potential job 4: perfect role, marketing manager for the ad sales team, location is close to my current job so commute is not at all affected. According to Glassdoor, range for the role is between $75k and $97k. My former boss, who I am still quote close with, used to work at this company and knows quite a few people there. I applied via their website, got an email from a recruiter asking to set up phone screen for Friday. Former boss sent a message to the VP of sales recommending me. Had the phone screen, someone other than the recruiter did it, I figured out from LinkedIn afterward that she was an Exec Asst and hadn't actually reviewed my resume prior to our conversation. I didn't feel it was going well, but at the end of the conversation, she said she really liked me and thought I had the drive to succeed in the role. Um, ok. Sent a thank you note to the recruiter right after, and she replied a little while ago saying she would follow up and let me know next steps. Fingers crossed. It's a good company to work for.

Potential job 5: same type of role, but title is Assistant Marketing Manager, and it's a much smaller company. Connected to this one via a former coworker/friend, who passed my resume on to her boss, who in a small world coincidence, I worked with 20 years ago at one of my first jobs. We have a coffee meeting tomorrow morning to catch up. I have a feeling they will not be able/willing to pay what I am looking for, and I am not a huge fan of what my commute would be, but who knows.

This job search is trucking along!!!!

Old 06-28-2016, 12:51 PM

546 posts, read 758,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Just a quick update - since my last posting, I have continued applying for anything that seemed a good fit (what I want to do i
This job search is trucking along!!!!
u will never get a job starting pay 75K for 'Marketing' job.
Its difficult to find a job paying 40K. If u dont have a specialized skills=no chance. Crap skills=crap pay.
Unless through connections.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
u will never get a job starting pay 75K for 'Marketing' job.
Its difficult to find a job paying 40K. If u dont have a specialized skills=no chance. Crap skills=crap pay.
Unless through connections.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I'm not going to bother replying to you after this - but seriously, you are clearly not in a white collar profession, based on your other posts. It's not difficult to find a job paying $40k - but then again, I actually do have quite a lot of specialized skills, so that's why I CURRENTLY make well over $40k. Please stop mixing your scenario into mine, as it's not relevant.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:19 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,400,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I'm not going to bother replying to you after this - but seriously, you are clearly not in a white collar profession, based on your other posts. It's not difficult to find a job paying $40k - but then again, I actually do have quite a lot of specialized skills, so that's why I CURRENTLY make well over $40k. Please stop mixing your scenario into mine, as it's not relevant.
Some people hear marketing and think MLM. They are unaware there are actual legit marketing jobs lol

Last edited by Mr_Geek; 06-29-2016 at 01:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search