Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 12:06 AM

18 posts, read 38,484 times

Advertisements

I received notification that offer was forthcoming the day following on-site interview and formal offer was extended two days after on-site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 04:23 AM

486 posts, read 992,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorkyMork View Post
Well, now I have yet another interview (phone screen) which I scheduled for next week. I applied to around 30 jobs but I certainly don't want to go to that many interviews. These positions are all accounting/finance related. One is a cpa firm, one is a company and the 3rd one is a state job.
Your interview rate at 10% seems about right. You have to keep on applying and keep on going on interviews until you get a job offer. I have applied for 54 jobs in the past two months and have went on 6 interviews (one more today makes 7), no job offers.

Sometimes you get hired on the spot, other times it can take weeks or months. Don't assume just because you go on an interview for a job that you are going to get the job. There always seems to be a better "fit" waiting in the wings (that has been my experience, anyway).

I read somewhere on the internet (must be true, eh?) that it takes between 10-14 interviews to get a job offer in today's economy. Sounds about right. So keep on applying and keep on interviewing, that is all you can do.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:33 AM

16 posts, read 13,794 times
Thank you everyone for your responses! I will go to the interview today and also continue to apply to other positions. I have a tendency to want to only deal with one thing at a time but I can't remain unemployed for an indefinite amount of time. I have to push myself to get out there.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:57 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,798 times
Quote:
So I should not take it as a bad sign? I interviewed today and am interested in the position but also have an interview tomorrow somewhere else.

I would rather just go with this place and cancel tomorrow's interview but now it's getting too late in the day to cancel.
I was in the exact same situation. I interviewed with a company last Tuesday and really wanted to work with them. I was hoping they'd made an offer that day, as I had an interview on Wednesday I was hoping to get out of. They didn't get back to me before the interview so I went to the other one. This second company called me two hours after the interview with an offer so I emailed the first company to notify them that I had received an offer and was wondering how far they were in their process. They emailed me back saying they would like to make me an offer as well, however this offer was ~$15,000 less then what the second company offered. Given this I was glad the first company didn't make me an offer right away as I would most likely have taken it and never received the much better offer from the second company.

All that being said, I don't think that companies typically act this hastily when making hiring decisions so don't take the wait as a bad sign.

Also, as one poster has already pointed out, the experience gained from interview is invaluable. So if you don't have an offer on the table that you want to accept interview with as many companies as possible.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:54 PM

Update: I received an offer from yesterday's interview.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:09 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-20-2016, 11:51 AM

Thank you. I emailed my acceptance of the offer and I contacted the other places and informed them that I am rescinding my application.

Yesterday and today I have been inundated with calls about job opportunities for accountants.

However, I have no interest in searching and searching for possibly the best job. I really liked the people from Wednesday's interview so I made my decision. I start my new job on Monday.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:42 PM

18 posts, read 16,462 times
Quote:
Thank you. I emailed my acceptance of the offer and I contacted the other places and informed them that I am rescinding my application.

Yesterday and today I have been inundated with calls about job opportunities for accountants.

However, I have no interest in searching and searching for possibly the best job. I really liked the people from Wednesday's interview so I made my decision. I start my new job on Monday.
Hey I am just wondering if the offer was through email? What was the subject of the email if you dont mind me asking? Trying to see what an offer email is like.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:32 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,948 times
I can only remember my last two jobs in regards to the time frame of getting the job after interviewing.

one job I interviewed for in Late November and was offered the job 2nd week of December

the other job I interviewed for was the beginning of November and was offered the job the 2nd week of December.

So in my case, it was anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks.

Both jobs were offered over the phone.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:06 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Getting an offer the same day you interview is very rare, I would expect it only to happen for low wage positions in the service industry.

The norm for most jobs is 1-2 weeks, if you haven't heard back after 3 weeks you probably didn't get the job.
It's not rare at all. And it happens often at high level positions which pay more. These individuals have more options and the employers know it - supply and demand. It's usually a verbal offer followed quickly by a formal offer letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search