Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 04:47 AM

105 posts, read 105,252 times

Advertisements

Getting a job has changed a lot in the last 10 years. It has become a labyrinth of questions and multiple interviews. Before it you could submit you resume, get a call to set up an interview and then do an interview that lasts 1/2 hour - hour. The interviews usually just consisted of explaining what you did in your past jobs.

Now everyone of them seems to ask, "what is you best/worst quality?" "Why do you want to work here?" "Tell me about yourself." Background checks, drug tests, assessment tests and sometimes even credit checks. It is maddening.

I remember the days, when you would open the classified ads in newspaper and see job listing with maybe 2 or 3 lines with a phone number or address to contact them. The job postings now are just ridiculous, with a loooong laundry list of requirements. Then paying barely a living wage.

All you can do now days is learn the game and try your best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 07:36 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, but people shouldn't give up. I started here at age 57, and have been promoted twice in the 7 years since. Once I became a manager my first hire was age 54. There are employers that look for experience, and if you have skills that are in demand and hard to find age really doesn't matter. Often people think they are too old, too young, not friendly enough, or whatever else they can think of to explain their failure to get a new job. The fact is that there is a lot of competition, you may have to be the best of 100 applicants to get it, the odds are not great. I might add, HR has nothing to do with the selection here, as in many other places. As the hiring manager I decide who to interview and who to hire, HR is only acting as a consultant, making the calls, sending the rejection letters.
I'm younger than the OP but I understand the sting of rejection all too well. It felt like no one would give me a chance.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:46 AM

738 posts, read 585,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger Mentor View Post
Getting a job has changed a lot in the last 10 years. It has become a labyrinth of questions and multiple interviews. Before it you could submit you resume, get a call to set up an interview and then do an interview that lasts 1/2 hour - hour. The interviews usually just consisted of explaining what you did in your past jobs.

It's infuriating. I've been looking for 14 months. I was briefly employed by some waterhead outfit but got terminated because some bed wetting corporate white boy decided I was a cokehead. I haven't used drugs in many years.

I got an interview with some company that advertised for a "technician." After wasting a bunch of time going there I found out they were really looking for some kind of mechanic. Why didn't they say so in the damn ad?

Agggghhh!!!!

Old 05-25-2016, 11:36 AM

221 posts, read 183,977 times
What do they want?

An obedient, conformist, high energy 22 year old with at least 30 years relevant experience willing to work at least 200 hours a week and bring in at least $1 billion revenue per year for $2 Zimbabwean an hour.

Kidding aside, do you have any experience, talent, or a passion you can apply to start a business of your own?

Old 05-25-2016, 09:49 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
Have not had a full-time job of any kind since 2009. Part-time, contract, no benefits, and laid off from some of those. I was going to retire early next year at 62 and work part time to supplement that SS. And I still may do that.

OP, consider several part-time jobs, contract work, or self-employment or a combination.
I am now doing 2 part-time and may try to add a third, depending on how this new situation goes. Keep yourself afloat no matter what it takes.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:59 PM

366 posts, read 433,015 times
Quote:

Now everyone of them seems to ask, "what is you best/worst quality?" "Why do you want to work here?" "Tell me about yourself." Background checks, drug tests, assessment tests and sometimes even credit checks. It is maddening.

I remember the days, when you would open the classified ads in newspaper and see job listing with maybe 2 or 3 lines with a phone number or address to contact them. The job postings now are just ridiculous, with a loooong laundry list of requirements. Then paying barely a living wage.

You just hit the nail on the head. I've actually been asked questions like..."if you were an animal, which one would you be?", " If you had to choose, which possession would you take to a deserted island?"...These are game show questions for God's sake!!! I feel that since it's clearly still a buyer's market for companies and employers, they like to play games and waste people's time. A lot of these companies use tests designed by psychologists to trip you up or weed out everyone but the perfect specimen. Also, those 40 page tests during the application.....you're being interviewed before your interviewed...maddening.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:07 AM

738 posts, read 585,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Pieces of Flair View Post
What do they want?

An obedient, conformist, high energy 22 year old with at least 30 years relevant experience willing to work at least 200 hours a week and bring in at least $1 billion revenue per year for $2 Zimbabwean an hour.

Kidding aside, do you have any experience, talent, or a passion you can apply to start a business of your own?

I had my own business for some years, servicing businesses with pollution control. Unfortunately all of that manufacturing got off shored to countries where they don't care about pollution control. They just dump it in the river and shoot anyone that complains.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:39 AM

486 posts, read 992,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
I had my own business for some years, servicing businesses with pollution control. Unfortunately all of that manufacturing got off shored to countries where they don't care about pollution control. They just dump it in the river and shoot anyone that complains.
Shhh...don't you know you can't *talk* about the outsourcing of American jobs to foreign countries. It is against the rules. Must keep your head down and keep applying for that elusive $15 an hour job. At least that is what I do.

[How's that working out for me? It's not.]

Old 05-27-2016, 01:30 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,746,610 times
Quote:

This made me learn how to make a website so I can build an online business, get visitors and make money off it. It's the only way to go right now.

There are many jobs in my area but with 5+ years of experience added on to the long laundry list of requirements.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:37 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,746,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
I guess I am just too old.
They can't say that you're too old because this would cause an age discrimination lawsuit. They dodge this by saying "We found a better fit", "We are exploring other candidates", or they won't respond which they dangle you on a string while you try to beat out a response from them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search