Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2016, 05:24 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times

Advertisements

I've realized that I probably have not chosen careers based on my aptitude at all, leading me to perhaps be stuck in fields where I flounder.

As a child, I realized I didn't have teachers who met my needs and tried to help me, so I went to school to become a teacher and learned that it's really one of the world's most difficult professions. I doubt I'm doing much better than those instructors who neglected me, and I often hear students complaining that they wish I wasn't their teacher.

I also want to become a professional organizer because I'm chronically disorganized and would love to be able to decorate rooms and make them look beautiful. I have almost no natural ability to do this, though. It takes me longer than average to clean my own room, and, even though I once worked for a cleaning company, I can't keep things neat and tidy without specific instructions and help.

Now, I think I'm good at tutoring, but I still run into some of the same challenges I have as a teacher.

I was diagnosed with ASD--mild autism, OCD--anxiety disorder characterized by disturbing negative thoughts, and mild depression. I'm also "scatter-brained" and sometimes have issues paying attention.

More about me:

I'm not great with people (due to the ASD and OCD), and I'm chronically disorganized (I guess I just didn't learn how to be otherwise). I don't learn well from observing others (again due to the ASD). I'm forgetful (I don't know what causes this).

I can go to school and follow procedures if someone reminds me. I'm a reasonably decent tutor, but I'm a poor marketer.

Last edited by krmb; 05-29-2016 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 05:01 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,237 times
where's your question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search