Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 08:23 AM

5 posts, read 3,217 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I just interviewed with a medium sized company as a business development coordinator/software engineer. Both of my interviews went great and I signed an offer letter and I am starting on the 1st of June. The company has not done a background check, but I did sign a consumer report form where they state that at the time of applicant or randomly, they can perform this check which includes driving/criminal/credit and so on.

I have a felony on my record from 10 years ago, almost 11 years (age 18). Someone I did not know too well said that I could use his credit card for a $600 purchase and I would give him cash which was $450. Turns out that it was a stolen credit card and since I had the shipping information with my name and address, I was the one who got into trouble.

Question is, should I mention this to the HR person on my first day or not? If I tell them before they find out on their own, it will build a level of trust but I am afraid that they will withdraw my offer and release me. If I do not tell them ahead of time, I am not sure if they will give me a chance. I have not technically lied about it since they did not ask. Any advice is helpful, thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 09:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
They haven't asked. If they ask, tell the truth. That's my advice.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:24 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
^^Agree wih this. I would never volunteer that information.

Congrats and good luck with your new job(s) -- sounds like two entirely different roles mashed up into one position.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:36 PM

I live in the state of Georgia. How far back do background checks go as far as the years? Also, I am not 100% sure if they will do a background check but if they do, then do you think that I was better off telling them up front? You both are absolutely right about not volunteering that information, I just thought it would build a level of trust and honesty. Would it make a difference if the I got the felony while I was in my teens compared to now or in my 30's?

Old 05-30-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msp658 View Post
I live in the state of Georgia. How far back do background checks go as far as the years? Also, I am not 100% sure if they will do a background check but if they do, then do you think that I was better off telling them up front? You both are absolutely right about not volunteering that information, I just thought it would build a level of trust and honesty. Would it make a difference if the I got the felony while I was in my teens compared to now or in my 30's?
I empathize with your anxiety but think about this:

If you have to be bonded, it may make a difference and you will not be able to change that. Some jobs require that the applicant have no theft of any kind ever on their criminal record. Period. So telling them or not telling them isn't going to make any difference, because it will probably show up and if so and they can't insure/bond you, then you will not get to keep that job. It will not matter that you've changed, that it was ten years ago, or that you were "honest" and told them.

If they are the sort of company that doesn't require a completely clean criminal record, they will probably not be paying for a very thorough background check. In that case, this may or may not show up. If it shows up and they're worried about it, they'll ask you about it. If it doesn't show up, there's no need for them to ever know. So once again - don't volunteer this information.

In other words, no - don't go tell them. If they have questions, they will ask you.

Many job applications have a section that asks if you have ever been CONVICTED of a crime (it is not legal to ask if you have ever been arrested). Did your application ask that, and if so, did you answer truthfully?

Old 05-30-2016, 01:55 PM

I did not fill out an application, it was a position that a recruiter helped me with (landing both interviews).
My onboard paperwork that I have to fill out and bring with my on my first day does not have any questions asking about convictions. Just the consumer reports paper that I signed which may or may not include criminal background check. Most likely it will, but I am not sure if they will do a thorough check. From my understanding, most companies do a check for the past 7 years, is that true? So given the fact that they have not asked me, there is no need to tell them. If they do a check, more than likely they should give me a chance to explain what happened right? Also I am not dealing with any sort of money or payroll, so I have also heard that since it is not related to my job duties, I may be alright.
Sorry for the questions, its just that this is a great opportunity for me and I am just worried. Thank you so much.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msp658 View Post
I did not fill out an application, it was a position that a recruiter helped me with (landing both interviews).
My onboard paperwork that I have to fill out and bring with my on my first day does not have any questions asking about convictions. Just the consumer reports paper that I signed which may or may not include criminal background check. Most likely it will, but I am not sure if they will do a thorough check. From my understanding, most companies do a check for the past 7 years, is that true? So given the fact that they have not asked me, there is no need to tell them. If they do a check, more than likely they should give me a chance to explain what happened right? Also I am not dealing with any sort of money or payroll, so I have also heard that since it is not related to my job duties, I may be alright.
Sorry for the questions, its just that this is a great opportunity for me and I am just worried. Thank you so much.
If I had to guess, I'd say you're going to be fine. Please let us know what happens. DO NOT TELL THEM ANYTHING ABOUT THIS UNLESS THEY SPECIFICALLY ASK.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:21 PM

449 posts, read 494,899 times
"business development coordinator/software engineer"

Biggest bs I've read all day.

Business development = sales

Old 05-31-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
"business development coordinator/software engineer"

Biggest bs I've read all day.

Business development = sales
We all know what business development is, but it is much more than just sales. What is the point you are trying to make? Im also developing the cloud application for the company, I will be wearing many hats. I am more concerned about my background check, not here to impress anyone with my Job title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search