Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2016, 09:11 AM

1,104 posts, read 918,974 times

Advertisements

UK guy here. I have been actively seeking work for the last three weeks after taking a bit of a break and I'm surprised at how hard it has been getting a job. So far I have sent about 100 applications. From those, I have had roughly 20-30 phone calls, several interviews, and 0 job offers. And I feel like I'm being messed around by companies who aren't really sure what they are looking for.

Agencies seem interested, then they disappear. Or companies just plain won't get back. I get phone calls offering me work in places which are completely out of my location or are unsuitable for me despite my statement clearly on the top of my CV. One company admitted that they didn't entirely know what they were looking for - but after my interview they've just re-advertised the job again, and haven't returned my calls. And another rejected me, despite admitting that I would be on the high end of the wage they were offering, and I KNOW it was a job I could do well. But then I looked later and saw there had been some kind of drama on glassdoor.com.

Now it's fair that each company is different and they all have their own flavour and idea of how to be a company, but this is getting a little silly. I have pretty bad allergies this time of year, also no car, so travel can get very uncomfortable especially in this heat. I'm having to do my CV and cover letter, fill out forms, do the telephone interview, pass the competency test, usually attend a second interview all for their benefit, and hear nothing back. These are jobs in my league that I have experience in, that I'm confident I could do, I'm ready and able for work, I don't see the problem. Maybe it's just the time of the year but companies and agencies are not being very sensible.

Also on interviews and interviewers. I've had everything from "we are very serious here" to "I'm a bit of a nutter!" Some places concentrate on competency questions, others just want an informal chat. So often researching the company can often be a complete waste of time. Also NONE have given any feedback despite my requests for it. So I don't know if I'm coming across as rude or unreasonable, but I definitely don't feel that is an issue. Usually I just try to be professional and show my interest in the job. So what's going wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search