Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 08:14 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
If you tell us during the interview you are looking at other position elsewhere, odds are your paperwork will get shred. During the interviews, unless we ask you about other potential offers, bringing it up is a kiss of death. Why would you mention it at that stage unless you are trying to intimidate us into making an offer?

Once a conditional offer is made, at that point telling us may adjust some factors of the conditional offer, but not much else. We are not hard up for employees and employees seldom are that good that we will shake in our boots because they have other offers. Sometimes, we say 'well, take one of the others' and withdraw our offer.
It depends on the situation.

I recently had multiple interviews. One business gave me an offer before I interviewed at a different location. I told that second business that I already had an offer (in an effort to push along their offer). Well, they took too long and I accepted the first offer. I ended up declining the second offer once it was finally given to me.

It seems some employers actually are hard up for employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 10:57 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
If they need someone today they will prefer unemployed. If they are simply looking for the best person then unemployment bias is real and most prefer someone who is employed.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:41 PM

5,898 posts, read 3,898,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Case in point: corporations prefer hiring the employed over the unemployed and then whine about all the job hopping going on. Absolute incompetence.
Another thing which companies seem to overlook is the fact that an unemployed person will be a bit more appreciative and enthusiastic about working again. They might even be more loyal to your organization for finally giving them a chance after months of countless interviews and frustration. Sure, it might take them a week or two to get up to speed but that's true for anybody, hence probationary periods. An already-employed person will be more willing to walk/go back to their old job if the new position/culture doesn't fit with what they anticipated. An unemployed person wouldn't have that luxury and could be more willing to stick around.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:00 PM

179 posts, read 155,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Completely false statement and totally flawed logic. By your reasoning someone who has been biking for years and then stops for months can longer bike. Being unemployed does not erode a person's skills. It's just a convenient excuse in corporate america to cover their laziness and incompetence in hiring. Case in point: corporations prefer hiring the employed over the unemployed and then whine about all the job hopping going on. Absolute incompetence.
You are absolutely correct. You don't forget how to ride a bike (as you say) or how to drive a stick shift because you haven't done it for the last ten years. You pick right back up from where you left off. Actually most jobs never change and someone can plop in and out of those jobs randomly over the span of 30 years and be able to do that same job proficiently no matter the time gap. I'm serious.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:05 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
employers prefer staying within the regulations of the federal law for hiring.
Equal Opportunity.

Certified/licensed skills being a bonus.

And transparency is key from each side.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:10 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,895 times
One time, I faked a resume and a job application to make it look like I was currently working. I also made both relevant to the position and I still got rejected. If they caught my fake application, they would have told me. But employers never tell you why you got rejected.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:16 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Look up much "information" kids forget over summer break as claimed by school districts.
People who spent decades in their field don't magically forget everything in a few months. They would have Alzheimer's if they did
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search