Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 12:59 PM

5,898 posts, read 3,898,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I am not selling myself on the interviews, I guess.
It's OK to over-exaggerate your previous duties, accomplishments, and skills. As long as you don't lie about job titles, salary history and education background, everything else is fair game. If you're concerned about being too ethical and/or honest during an interview, then perhaps the business world isn't for you.

As much as employers complain about not being able to find qualified workers, most jobs are not rocket science. You don't have to be a genius to be halfway competent at performing the duties of a job. Since most companies refuse to provide training, a lot of positions are "learn as you go" these days anyway so anyone, even with hardly any experience, can pick up things on the job which will lead them to excel if they really want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 02:58 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
How does one use LinkedIn to find jobs?

How does one network? I have spoken to my family members about my job search, asking if there is any job openings where they work, but everyone says no one is hiring, or say to me "you don't want to work there." People in this area get really pissy and selfish about jobs, if you ask anyone about getting a job where they work, they get defensive, I guess maybe they are thinking I am going to take their jobs.

Should I just walk into places and introduce myself to someone and say I need a job?

I am willing to network but I have no idea how to do it.

Any advice on where to start?
In terms of networking, the way I've used it is simply by keeping in touch with former co-workers from previous jobs we've worked together. That, along with always having a good reputation as a no drama, honest, and hard worker have served me well. Especially in an industry where it's a small world where people know each other, even in companies in a foreign country. It also helps when I had good relations and reputation with former managers and supervisors as they could vouch for me without me knowing. Always important to never burn bridges and always do your best at your job.

For example, the current job I have now, I simply texted a former co-worker that worked there asking if there were any openings (I was so miserable at my job). He said to forward him my resume and he'll give it directly to the hiring manager. From there things went fast, phone screen, in person interview, and job offer. Before that, I had applied to this very company many times over several years with zero response.

Former co-workers have also reached out to me about job openings, last week in fact I got a text from one asking if I was interested in an opening there.

As for Linked In, I don't use it but I often get messages from recruiters asking if I am interested in open positions.

We interviewed one candidate last week, and one of the questions was how he found out about our company and what made him apply. He told us that he simply changed his address to somewhere near our company's location on his Linked In profile (he had family there and wanted a job in that area). He was then contacted by a recruiter that served that general area and was told about the opportunity.

I know it's not as easy for some who don't have a lot of job history or in industries where it's hard to do these things, but that's how it would work for someone like me.

Out of the 7 jobs I've held over the past two decades, only one of them I applied and interviewed without knowing anyone at the company (on my own with no one to vouch for me as a referral).

Old 06-30-2016, 04:29 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
It has come to the point where there is no shame on sitting at your major highway intersection with a sign and bucket for people to throw you money. Society has passed us by. We are not of this world.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:25 PM

144 posts, read 115,099 times
I feel like a broken record here. The problem is that there are no jobs. People here on CD will say they see 'now hiring' signs all the time. Any jobs posted are just HR personnel trying to prove that there is a need for their position. As you thought, the position has already been filled.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:39 AM

486 posts, read 992,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
I feel like a broken record here. The problem is that there are no jobs. People here on CD will say they see 'now hiring' signs all the time. Any jobs posted are just HR personnel trying to prove that there is a need for their position. As you thought, the position has already been filled.
True. If there are real jobs waiting to be filled, I am surely not getting them. Today I am going on my 13th interview in 3 months of job searching (90 jobs applied). Still no job offers. I am beginning to wonder if I am interviewing for real jobs or if these "jobs" I have interviewed for are just a sham (for what reason I have no idea).

I am not an ogre, I have experience, education and I always show up at the interview on time and dressed appropriately. I answer the interviewer's questions as best and truthfully as I can, I am polite. But still no job offers, nada, nothing. My problem is I don't know anyone who can help me get a job. I am job searching the old fashion way of applying for supposedly open jobs and interviewing. Look where that has got me...no where.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
OP, did you consider my suggestion and look into financial operations? You can make considerably more than your minimum salary requirements.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:40 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
I know how you feel. I am too honest as well. I even got a coach and I still got no job offers and am now out of hours but I did not have much experience so I think a coach will help you. You can get one through the state if you have a disability. They will help you reword things so you can still be honest without sounding bad. Not sure why but the key is in how you word things. If the job is a sham then this is not going to help but all the jobs you apply for can't be shams so you're bound to find one with some help.

Another thing I learned is just because they don't say now hiring doesn't mean they aren't. I missed out on it but there was a store in the mall that had already hired someone recently and they didn't even have a sign. This is of course not saying to spam your resume to companies. I do not believe in that but if you want to work at a certain place just ask if they would accept applications. Most of the time they won't be hiring but it shouldn't hurt to ask and you may get lucky because sometimes maybe they just haven't put the word out and that would mean you got the jump on it before anyone else.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:45 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Ohh I must agree! Having a sense of humor may not pay the bills, yet it sure does brighten up the world when its raining declines.

I avoid LinkedIn like the plague.

My reference page has all the info for staying networked. From Clients, I worked for, to former co -workers who remain one call away when needing tips! ( tips= companies who are hiring from the inside).

At some point someone somewhere has got to get back to the basics of hiring, which is meeting them, asserting them thru skill test and then deciding. This three ring circus is delaying good workers from being hired.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:39 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,664 times
Laugh and relax yourself. For you can only do so much before the whole thing becomes counter productive. Too much second guessing, over anxiety will not get you anywhere. Think of your health in the long term. There is only so much you can do really in the job search anyways. All the rest is just a waste of time.

Ask the qsts: Do you have experience/education for job applied?. What does your resume look like ask for a critique if necessary to get the real scoop on how effective is it ?. Are you being realistic in your job search. This last point is vitally important as you do not want to waste time in dreaming of what could be and not what is.

Also, employers can not read your mind and rely on your resume and/or cover letter. Ensure you put in all the right keywords in the resume so the hiring mgr can be satisfied of the right candidate, in the few seconds it takes them to scan your resume.

Despite what has been said in the past about Craigslist, I have gotten all of my "real" jobs there. Sometimes you will certain employers who are just looking for somebody , not a superstar to work in that position. Without Craigslist, I would have been homeless long ago

Last edited by scirocco; 07-06-2016 at 11:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search