U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 07:55 AM

96 posts, read 64,968 times

Advertisements

Is it the norm now for 3rd party recruiters/search firms to ask for references before there's even an interview or interest from their potential clients? I've had 3 SF search/recruitment firms push me for my references before my resume gets in front of a potential client. I have declined based on the fact that my references are SACRED. I do not want my references bothered every couple of days for opportunities that have not come to fruition.

Anyone else encountered this situation? I guess times have changed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 08:02 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,165,179 times
It's common they ask. I always protect my references and say I'll give them for specific positions I've interviewed for when we get to that stage.

Times haven't really changed. Some places have always worked like this, its a common tactic to try to drum up business, they'll use your references to try to get business. Hold firm.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:13 AM

8,797 posts, read 13,284,781 times
Yes the staffing agencies love collecting supervisor/manager references because they send them right to their sales department to make marketing calls to. If your references are workers in in-demand fields they will attempt to recruit them. Overall, though staffing agencies tend to be unprofessional. I would not offer references to anyone before even an interview. They don't give a bleep if they burn through your references and anger them but you need to.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:23 AM

3,785 posts, read 9,234,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Yes the staffing agencies love collecting supervisor/manager references because they send them right to their sales department to make marketing calls to. If your references are workers in in-demand fields they will attempt to recruit them. Overall, though staffing agencies tend to be unprofessional. I would not offer references to anyone before even an interview. They don't give a bleep if they burn through your references and anger them but you need to.
^^^^Totally agree.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:01 PM

798 posts, read 737,911 times
Exclamation Recruiters and References

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmelon View Post
Is it the norm now for 3rd party recruiters/search firms to ask for references before there's even an interview or interest from their potential clients? I've had 3 SF search/recruitment firms push me for my references before my resume gets in front of a potential client. I have declined based on the fact that my references are SACRED. I do not want my references bothered every couple of days for opportunities that have not come to fruition.

Anyone else encountered this situation? I guess times have changed!
PMelon.....Hello....

This is a good question because there is another angle than has been addressed by the Regulars here. Another side to the coin. Which is why I usually step in- because something relevant has been left out and there is a gap in the conversation as a result.

What has been said is true- many 'recruiters' use your references as stepping-stones/gateways to new business by either recruiting those individuals or soliciting recruitment business from them.

So there is that.

For those who say they don't give references out until they have had an interview to their liking, etc. also exists.

And then there are people like me- who know who we recruited because we did our homework in advance so we know some things about the recruit before we even dialed their telephone number.

And, ideally, we are people who can 'read' others so we can tell that what we've picked up about a person and what we see/hear in a person is all real so we don't need to confirm ourselves by talking to a reference. At least, not at first.....

.....unless something about the screening interview we conduct leads to a question in our mind about that person. Something the recruit said.....something in the way something was said....something about an event in that recruit's past that leaves a loose end to be nailed down......

In that case,

Or in the case of those recruiters who are not as adept at reading people....

A reference may be solicited of you. It should not take three, I would think. Either someone related to a specific situation or two at the most to confirm a character trait, for example.

So, yes, there are times when being asked is a legitimate request.

But not before the recruiter has even spoken with you.

You said you are asked before even being interviewed and I say phooey on that.

But if after you have had a screening interview and before the recruiter submits you, it is not out of line for a recruiter (especially a newbie, for example) to be able to confirm you are who you say you are so the recruiter does not end up sending someone who subsequently makes them look foolish because either there was a personality defect that ought to have been picked up or maybe some 'facts' about that person bear confirming to be sure there has been no exaggerations either in conversation or on paper.

You are the one who has to judge and as MSchemist80 describes, the flakes are going to be easy enough to spot.

But for those who legitimately want stuff nailed down before sticking their neck out with a client, it may be reasonable to provide a reference so it can be determined that what you have said and have provided on paper is real. [People tell fibs and that includes executives and members of our government. A recruitment fee is at stake {30% of your salary} as is the well-being of the client in hiring the 'right' person as is the credibility and rep of the recruiter. Much as it may be bothersome to say it, people tell fibs and there is no reason a recruiter should needlessly place themselves in jeopardy by not asking for confirming evidence in the form of a reference. It used to be fashionable to give them just as it has now become fashionable to refuse to give them.]

P.S. In an effort to head off questions that are meant to thwart my purpose here:

"Why would I be dealing with a "newbie" recruiter or someone who is not a "mind reader" as you, HHP, claim to be?"

The answer is easy and hopefully there won't be any other questions/counter-points I've not anticipated:

The answer is easy- that particular recruiter may be new in the business but specializes in your industry. S/he may have client contacts that exactly match the employer base you would want to connect with. It may be that simply, spazz or otherwise, that recruiter has a bona fide search assignment from that company/that kind of company for whom you'd like to work.

So assuming the recruiter has something of consequence to offer, you would want to help the process along.

I think that covers it; I'm sure someone is bound to come up with something but I hope it is not for the purpose of sparring with me.

Hah, so there is something else:

What I have found over time is that it is possible to 'get to know more about a recruit' from a reference. We are not just 'confirming' details but by speaking with a reference, we are being given an opportunity to learn more that could be valuable to know to add to our conversation with our client.

Suggesting that during a pitch to a client (retained or contingency, it does not matter) the recruiter was 'also' told that blah, blah, blah and "...isn't that a good thing to know about our candidate, Mr. Hiring Authority?" works to your advantage.

So if you have a recruiter who is not getting a reference by filling out one of those dumb forms but is doing so by engaging with that reference, you actually stand to benefit from having that recruiter talk to one of your associates.

I think that does it. Hey! Am I good or what?

LOL

Paul.......

Last edited by HeadhunterPaul; 06-29-2016 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: text edit

Old 06-29-2016, 10:54 PM

1,193 posts, read 716,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I agree I saw a lot of positions at Universities asking for references during the application process and I was like, Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or