U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 12:22 PM

6,242 posts, read 2,898,039 times

Advertisements

In an effort to expand and saturate the open market for a career. I came upon some opportunities to apply for federal under "civilian" status.

I followed the "resume" format and read thoroughly the job description.

It took about two hours to get my documents and notes in order before following thru with the federal checklist of documents required to apply.

I log on, do the questionnaire. Next step, present the docs!

Mid way thru comes a RED LETTER warning line- It stated: This Position requires Enlisting. PLease review the enlistment parameters. So apparently you must be : Between ages 18 to 35, in top shape ( physical required, any handicaps will need mentioned, and be willing to go thru boot camp.) .

I laughed in a decent way,(I reflected on the movie Private Benjamin), and definitely over 35 years old.

Definitely not in the best of health physically and have two handicaps. No boot camp for this lady! .

Its a Desk job primarily and most of the heavy tasks are not involving any field work.

How can they call it open to civilians if they end up saying that you have to enlist to be apart of this group?

My SIL is a civilian ( contracted) to audit certain areas of the govt. She definitely did not have to enlist to complete her application.

Am I missing something about labeling it a civilian job if the prerequisite is enlisting? Any suggestions of actual federal departments that do hire civilians to do desk jobs? I am limited in walking and lifting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 12:58 PM

10,072 posts, read 4,699,441 times
You sure they aren't referring to the ss? https://www.sss.gov/Registration-Info/Who-Registration

For a "volunteer" army, the US seems to require people to sign up to get federal services, grants for college, jobs, etc

Or it might really be for enlisted people? Post job so we can see?

Old 06-28-2016, 12:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,923 posts, read 54,650,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
In an effort to expand and saturate the open market for a career. I came upon some opportunities to apply for federal under "civilian" status.

I followed the "resume" format and read thoroughly the job description.

It took about two hours to get my documents and notes in order before following thru with the federal checklist of documents required to apply.

I log on, do the questionnaire. Next step, present the docs!

Mid way thru comes a RED LETTER warning line- It stated: This Position requires Enlisting. PLease review the enlistment parameters. So apparently you must be : Between ages 18 to 35, in top shape ( physical required, any handicaps will need mentioned, and be willing to go thru boot camp.) .

I laughed in a decent way,(I reflected on the movie Private Benjamin), and definitely over 35 years old.

Definitely not in the best of health physically and have two handicaps. No boot camp for this lady! .

Its a Desk job primarily and most of the heavy tasks are not involving any field work.

How can they call it open to civilians if they end up saying that you have to enlist to be apart of this group?

My SIL is a civilian ( contracted) to audit certain areas of the govt. She definitely did not have to enlist to complete her application.

Am I missing something about labeling it a civilian job if the prerequisite is enlisting? Any suggestions of actual federal departments that do hire civilians to do desk jobs? I am limited in walking and lifting.
From what you said, there is no surprise. You are applying as a civilian. Any job that requires enlisting is open to civilians, you cannot enlist if you are already in the military. What you are looking for is Civilian Jobs rather than jobs that civilians can apply for. I suppose the way they did this is a bit misleading.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:35 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,724,412 times
Was this a national guard position? There are some positions posted for civilians that are only open to people in the national guard who meet certain parameters. Just keep in mind that when doing your search you'll still find a lot that are only open to current employees of X agency, national guard, etc. They aren't actually all U.S. Citizens like they should be even if that's the search you've run.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:59 PM

148 posts, read 71,832 times
What was the agency? National guard positions usually state in the announcement that you have to be a member. The army does as well. Many federal position announcements are usually very specific about who may apply in the who may apply section.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:37 PM

6,242 posts, read 2,898,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
From what you said, there is no surprise. You are applying as a civilian. Any job that requires enlisting is open to civilians, you cannot enlist if you are already in the military. What you are looking for is Civilian Jobs rather than jobs that civilians can apply for. I suppose the way they did this is a bit misleading.
Aha! Well there is the clarification. Thank you!

It was for army....

Old 06-29-2016, 06:40 AM

1,183 posts, read 766,419 times
probably something similar to the air reserve technicians (ARTs) that require a dual status.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:25 PM

6,886 posts, read 3,745,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
probably something similar to the air reserve technicians (ARTs) that require a dual status.
My first thought too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search