U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2016, 10:01 AM

844 posts, read 747,492 times

Advertisements

I retired very early from work (early 50's) for various reasons.

I was an RN by education (associate degree) but I hadn't worked as an RN (hospital setting) since mid 1990's when I took a job (as an RN surveyor) for the NYS Dept of Health, investigating first nursing home- then adult home- complaints (I was VERY good at this), and annual inspections. I left/ retired about 8 yrs ago to "homestead" our farm and run a goat dairy business. The goats are now gone.

I did not renew my nursing license when I retired. I feel very inadequate about the new info with nursing now. I would never go back to nursing with the potential of killing someone.

Now after being home for about 8 yrs, I'm bored to death and want to reenter the job market, but not as an RN. I think an allied job would work but not sure what is "transferable" in terms of training/ education.

Nor am I sure how to account for the time I did not work.

I'm working on my resume now, but need help and ideas on how to approach this. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 11:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,806 posts, read 54,470,896 times
If you are up to the physical aspects, assisted living facilities love to hire retired nurses as caretakers. There was on at the place my mother-in-law stayed for 13 years until she passed at age 95. If you do renew your license, you could also work as a school nurse, substitute school nurse, home care nurse, give flu shots at a local pharmacy, or even be a traveling nurse for an ambulance/EMT company.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:36 PM

68 posts, read 67,144 times
Check insurance companies like United Health care or others, they are always looking for those with nursing training. In regard to what you did the last several years just think about the tasks you did do, then list those. I imagine the goats didn't take care of themselves. Check with your state and see what sort of training classes exist at a local community college or online in regard to nursing. I think with some practice you won't feel so vulnerable as a nurse any more

Old 07-02-2016, 05:07 PM

844 posts, read 747,492 times
Thanks. Never thought of insurance companies. Good idea.

Some one suggested writing down about what I did with the goats. It was a commercial dairy and we had to market and transport our own milk and deal with agi markets during inspections, clean and sterilize equipment, etc. So I am putting that all down. So thanks again.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:23 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,986,698 times
You account for the 8 years by stating you were self employed in the dairy business during that period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search