Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 06:17 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,235 times

Advertisements

When I upload a resume using a web site's online application system it will often just extract the information to a text box on the next page. Often, all the fancy resume formatting gets taken out and thus the text appears in a pretty messy fashion. My question is, is it necessary to re-format the information in the text box or did the file I uploaded actually get sent through the HR system as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 09:36 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
It depends on the system the employer is using. Some will see the attached file, most won't.

You should have two electronic files of your resume. Your regular one, and a scannable one. When uploading to a website you should use the scannable one and if you've created it correctly, it won't loose its formatting and should properly auto-fill the input fields.

You can google the term 'scannable resume' but basically you should only use Arial or Times New Roman font, and no bold, underline, italics, bullet points, or tabs. Use all caps for headers, use spaces instead of tab, use dashes instead of bullet points. Left align everything. The end result has a sort of poetic simplicity to it.

General rule of thumb, if you are emailing to a specific email address, attach your regular resume. If you are uploading to a website, use your scannable resume.

Always take your regular resume to the interview.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
When I upload a resume using a web site's online application system it will often just extract the information to a text box on the next page. Often, all the fancy resume formatting gets taken out and thus the text appears in a pretty messy fashion. My question is, is it necessary to re-format the information in the text box or did the file I uploaded actually get sent through the HR system as well?
I hate that too. You'll look at the results of how their computer processed your imported resume and see your college name in a street address box or something. I don't think there is a way around it. You just have to go in their an manually edit their fields.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:14 AM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,741 times
That's a great tip kodeka. I kept having to spend 10 minutes fixing my application because my work experience and school was always screwed up. (for school is said "State Buffalo University New York at of... GPA 4.0/3.45)

Good to know.

And yes, you should correct them unless you want to look illiterate.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:37 AM

274 posts, read 998,262 times
another thing you can do is to create your same resume in notepad and format it to how you want. that way, once you have that file, all you have to do is cut and paste from your notepad file into the text box of an online application.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutt Roh View Post
another thing you can do is to create your same resume in notepad and format it to how you want. that way, once you have that file, all you have to do is cut and paste from your notepad file into the text box of an online application.
How is this better than copying and pasting from doc/docx file?

Old 05-23-2010, 12:12 PM

274 posts, read 998,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
How is this better than copying and pasting from doc/docx file?
if you have your resume with bullets and horizontal lines in a Word doc and when you try to copy and paste it to a text field online, it'll come up as a jarbled mess when you try to submit it.

the text box resume submissions that you see online are just text only, no special Word document characters/symbols or multiple tabbed spaces.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:22 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
That's a great tip kodeka. I kept having to spend 10 minutes fixing my application because my work experience and school was always screwed up. (for school is said "State Buffalo University New York at of... GPA 4.0/3.45)

Good to know.

And yes, you should correct them unless you want to look illiterate.
To clarify, I wasn't talking about where it will use your resume to fill in the boxes...obviously you want to correct the errors there. I was referring to where it takes the text of your resume and sticks it in a plain text box. So if you have different columns etc on your normal resume it will all get put together and look messy.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:03 PM

853 posts, read 4,036,897 times
I attended a workshop via the unemployment office that was about creating an electronic resume. We saved the Word document as a text file, changed bullets to stars, hit enter at the end of each line (to prevent unintended wrapping), made smaller right hand margins (so all text fit in the box), and a few other things that I can not remember right now.

My understanding was that fixing it before pasting, was better than pasting and then fixing (more likely to stay the way we wanted). Also, the text file can be used for other applications, insead of having to fix the resume with each application.

If you have access to workshops, that might help. Or, as someone mentioned, search for scannable resumes, or electronic resumes.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutt Roh View Post
if you have your resume with bullets and horizontal lines in a Word doc and when you try to copy and paste it to a text field online, it'll come up as a jarbled mess when you try to submit it.
I have seen this, but only about 1/4 of the time, copying and pasting wouldn't affect the formatting regardless of program since it will most likely be reformatted in plain text either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search