U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 06:30 PM

427 posts, read 379,277 times

Advertisements

Jun 30 SALES* CUSTOMER SERVICE *MODIFICATION PROCESSORS * IT (Santa Ana)
Jun 30 Entry Level Job Seekers: Uber Drivers NEEDED ASAP (los angeles)
Jun 30 Line Cook and Prep Cook Needed (Redondo Beach, CA)
Jun 30 Customer Service Job Seekers: Uber Drivers NEEDED ASAP (los angeles)
Jun 30 $15hr - Home Improvement Telemarketing (los angeles)

The first five jobs on one page of the Los Angeles Craigslist job board. The old Righteous Brothers song comes to mind "For once in my life, let me get what I want, girl don't let me down! For once in my life, let me hold on to, a good thing I've found!"

It's not hard to see why so many people would rather live on government support than demean themselves to this extent to work almost for free, after taxes. You know your life is over when these are your options.

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 07-01-2016 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 07:29 PM

506 posts, read 267,837 times
Well, the jobs above are all unskilled and "survival jobs". If you have an in-demand skill, the job market would be vastly different. However, acquiring an in-demand skill often requires perseverance and sacrifice.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:10 PM

427 posts, read 379,277 times
The majority of listings are like this, and the majority of jobs are like this. It's very sad corporate America converts us into "salesbots" and are allowed no agency whatsoever.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:52 PM

506 posts, read 267,837 times
Article on today's Washington Post: "Researchers at the Georgetown University Center on Education found that out of the 11.6 million jobs created in the post-recession economy, 11.5 million went to people with at least some college education." So 99% of the openings required some education after high school.

I think the conclusion is clear: to maximize your chance of snagging a decent job nowadays, you must have some college education.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:58 PM

4,653 posts, read 2,290,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
I think the conclusion is clear: to maximize your chance of snagging a decent job nowadays, you must have some college education.
Last week I read an article which mentioned that a lot of recent college grads are working jobs which only require a HS diploma. That's not to say that college isn't important though. Of course, the potential for snagging a decent job is still there, but it will probably be at least a few more years down the road for many of these people.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:34 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,657,640 times
Medical Technologist jobs in Los Angeles, CA - Indeed Mobile

Saw my job there, enough openings within just this week that someone could get a job quick enough

Old 07-02-2016, 05:41 PM

11,126 posts, read 8,534,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
The majority of listings are like this, and the majority of jobs are like this. It's very sad corporate America converts us into "salesbots" and are allowed no agency whatsoever.
What are you talking about? Never look for a job on Craigslist. I don't see too many professional jobs posted there.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:23 AM

3,315 posts, read 1,878,761 times
Psh working for free? Try doing surveys and things like that for your income. That's almost the equivalent of working for free and that's even WITHOUT paying taxes. Imagine if I actually paid taxes on what I made.

I guess in Los Angeles it would be even more difficult to work for minimum wage but at least it's a steady income.
But it is pretty irritating that you have to worry about your salary to wonder if you're going to be in the hole. I'm the type of person that would do it anyway because earning SOME money is better than none at all but I don't really have a right to a choice. I have almost no documented/official work experience so I would pretty much have to work for minimum wage and because of my desire to be financially independent I would probably have to struggle for a while. The worst part is with my lack of experience it is improbable to get ANY job at all so it's crazy that I would have to work so hard just to get an opportunity that would in the end make me struggle. I'd be grateful just to get one at this point but there's probably going to be part of me that will still find it baffling. It might just make me work even harder (if that's possible) to get something better that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What are you talking about? Never look for a job on Craigslist. I don't see too many professional jobs posted there.
A lot of people will tell you that is where it is most feasible to get a job. Some companies do not have the money to advertise so I'm sure there are legitimate jobs on there but I do not find it much easier there either. I can't tell what's a scam and what's not. I did find a legitimate opportunity there but now I know why it's on Craigslist. It was more self employment.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:25 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,657,640 times
Craigslist is second hand merchandise, jobs would be the same.

Not saying you can't get good things from it, but just like I wouldn't use it to buy a mint gold bullion, I wouldn't use it for a good career. If I want a serviceable item then it is okay, but I don't want a serviceable job however.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:45 AM

6,223 posts, read 5,357,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Last week I read an article which mentioned that a lot of recent college grads are working jobs which only require a HS diploma. That's not to say that college isn't important though. Of course, the potential for snagging a decent job is still there, but it will probably be at least a few more years down the road for many of these people.
That's because college is the new high school diploma. Jobs that a HS grad could get are now requiring a college education. Not because the job needs it, but because there is a surplus of grads. I know someone who went 40k into debt just to work at a call center after graduation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search