U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 09:55 PM

6,694 posts, read 3,780,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Around six months ago, I applied to a position and never heard anything back and completely forgot about it. Today I got a LinkedIn message from the firm stating that the focus of the position had changed and may be more in line with my skills. I noticed she had a little unusual statement in there - that the company "would prefer someone close to my age."

I'm 30 and have six years of post college experience. Granted, my age isn't listed, but it's not difficult to tell I'm in my late 20s/early 30s.

While we know this type of crap goes on, I was surprised at how blatant it was. Do you see such forthright age discrimination often?
They usually hide it better than that. That must be an inexperienced HR person. OR she was referring to someone else who was YOUNGER, but they preferred someone older like you. Age discrimination is against federal law, whether the age is young or old. But as a practical matter, age does matter, so it's tough. Someone 25 may not have enough life experience to have the judgment needed for a job, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 12:56 AM

9,699 posts, read 15,908,924 times
For pity's sake, sounds like he got the job, or at least interest. What good would be done by filing some sort of discrimination charge? The whole idea is to get the job, not be a defender of "truth, justice. blah, blah......" Besides, nothing comes of those charges except a lot of time, stress, and hot air.

But the world's not fair......high time you learned that

Old 07-06-2016, 03:02 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,047,232 times
I am a Senior Citizen. A couple of years ago i was applying for a seasonal job for which I was well qualified. Got to the point where they needed my personal info. The form they used had dates to clickon. It did not go that far back.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:30 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,065,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Age discrimination is against federal law, whether the age is young or old.

Wrong.

From the eeoc website:

Age Discrimination

Age discrimination involves treating someone (an applicant or employee) less favorably because of his or her age.
The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) only forbids age discrimination against people who are age 40 or older. It does not protect workers under the age of 40, although some states do have laws that protect younger workers from age discrimination.

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/age.cfm

So, unless the OP's state has laws that forbid this, the OP cannot file discrimination charges.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:45 AM

35,762 posts, read 10,599,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Discrimination would be not hiring someone due to their age, in this case they ARE hiring the OP (offering) so there is no discrimination for the OP to complain about. The employer has probably not been dumb enough to use these words to those candidates not selected, especially in writing which would be clearly actionable discrimination. Whether they are looking for someone older or younger, age discrimination takes place frequently, but is hard to prove since most employers have the sense to avoid any mention of age. This one does not seem too bright and that would raise a red flag for me as a potential employer.

Surely, you jest.

You really think that this letter, documentation that they're offering a job to this applicant [in place of someone else who's older?] wouldn't serve as proof of illegal hiring practices/hostile work environment if someone wanted to make such a case? Think again. Instead of prospective employees (and disgruntled ex-employees) having to dig into their memory banks for age discrimination buzzwords (like "energy"), this dolt put it in writing.

Age discrimination, whether the prospective employer favors 30-year-old applicants, 23-year-old applicants, or 60-year-old applicants, is illegal. And most people are onto their methods to try to hide it.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:58 AM

35,762 posts, read 10,599,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Discrimination would not apply to you - as you are not 40 and over, and therefore unprotected according to the law.

That said, I wouldn't work there with such imbeciles.

Really? And what about when she turns 40...or 50.. or whatever the let's toss 'em aside like a squeezed lemon/used Kleenex age is for that organization, should she decide to accept the position?

That letter, and the work environment it surely must reflect, would help establish a pattern of age discrimination in hiring and firing. Believe it.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:52 AM

1,016 posts, read 757,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Age discrimination is illegal.

And it is pervasive.
No. Only age discrimination against older employees is illegal. Age discrimination against young workers is not illegal. If the employer wanted someone closer to your age, they very well could have been excluding people in their early 20's and there's nothing illegal about that. Take the job if you want it but don't presume your potential employer is breaking the law when you have no evidence (beyond your assumption of their intent).

Old 07-06-2016, 07:56 AM

1,016 posts, read 757,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Age discrimination, whether the prospective employer favors 30-year-old applicants, 23-year-old applicants, or 60-year-old applicants, is illegal. And most people are onto their methods to try to hide it.
That is false. An employer can legally favor the 60 year old applicant on the basis of age. However, they would be breaking the law to favor the 30 or 23 year-old on the basis of age.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:56 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,065,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Really? And what about when she turns 40...or 50.. or whatever the let's toss 'em aside like a squeezed lemon/used Kleenex age is for that organization, should she decide to accept the position?

That letter, and the work environment it surely must reflect, would help establish a pattern of age discrimination in hiring and firing. Believe it.

I see that you read further, and declined to comment. Ask those questions to the EEOC, okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Wrong.

From the eeoc website:

Age Discrimination

Age discrimination involves treating someone (an applicant or employee) less favorably because of his or her age.
The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) only forbids age discrimination against people who are age 40 or older. It does not protect workers under the age of 40, although some states do have laws that protect younger workers from age discrimination.

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/age.cfm

So, unless the OP's state has laws that forbid this, the OP cannot file discrimination charges.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:12 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,080,593 times
What's to find fault with or worry or complain about or think of as slimy? This is not age discrimination, happens every day, and the hiring company has the right to decide what age group they want for the position. Besides that was not the only criteria they would hire you for. I agree however that the wording of the HR was unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or