U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 01:19 PM

23,651 posts, read 17,632,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
What's to find fault with or worry or complain about or think of as slimy? This is not age discrimination, happens every day, and the hiring company has the right to decide what age group they want for the position. Besides that was not the only criteria they would hire you for. I agree however that the wording of the HR was unnecessary.
This is the kind of thing that opens up a firm to a problem. Why would you even be so dumb at to put this in writing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 02:39 PM

12,964 posts, read 8,783,224 times
"Sue me, kid."

Old 07-06-2016, 06:01 PM

2,998 posts, read 4,707,635 times
One day that loser will be on the other end of fifty!

Old 07-07-2016, 02:07 PM

68 posts, read 67,475 times
It is not jus 50+, it is happening at much younger ages. I was just refused a job in a city government because the position I applied required just a few years experience. I have years of experience and my education far surpassed the requirements. I know many people who work there so you get the whole story from both sides. These individuals work in different departments.

Typically why this happens is because the manager is exceptionally weak. The person lacks confidence and fears an uncomfortable situation having someone work for him who is more qualified. It is the ultimate "over-qualified" slogan.

Though one doesn't need to just be 50+, I am finding I get this a lot as I interview and I am 38.

At 38 I am sandwiched between the generational change. The older way we didn't talk to robots or communicate through an online site. The company's actually took time to review applicants. The new way what matters is who you know where and how many friends you have on social media. You communicate to robots and you apply through a smart phone. I have watched it from both directions.

To someone in the older generation they think I am part of the new regime, to someone in the younger generation they look at me as part of the outdated regime. It is really something to observe. It also explains why there is so much frustration. Today there seems to be very little collaboration, though you must take what is in front of you as is whether you like it or not. Essentially the frustration will likely get worse.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:58 PM

96 posts, read 65,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abvincent1 View Post
It is not jus 50+, it is happening at much younger ages. I was just refused a job in a city government because the position I applied required just a few years experience. I have years of experience and my education far surpassed the requirements. I know many people who work there so you get the whole story from both sides. These individuals work in different departments.

Typically why this happens is because the manager is exceptionally weak. The person lacks confidence and fears an uncomfortable situation having someone work for him who is more qualified. It is the ultimate "over-qualified" slogan.

Though one doesn't need to just be 50+, I am finding I get this a lot as I interview and I am 38.

At 38 I am sandwiched between the generational change. The older way we didn't talk to robots or communicate through an online site. The company's actually took time to review applicants. The new way what matters is who you know where and how many friends you have on social media. You communicate to robots and you apply through a smart phone. I have watched it from both directions.

To someone in the older generation they think I am part of the new regime, to someone in the younger generation they look at me as part of the outdated regime. It is really something to observe. It also explains why there is so much frustration. Today there seems to be very little collaboration, though you must take what is in front of you as is whether you like it or not. Essentially the frustration will likely get worse.
So true! I'm glad you brought this up. In the Silicon Valley, you're put out the pasture, if you're over 35. 35 is the new 50 here, I guess.

The upside to being 35 is that you can appear younger much easier than if you're over 50. Sure us women (and men) can get a nip/tuck and use a good hairdresser, but the you can't hide your age with the hands and neck. There are tell tale signs of age that just can't be fixed with surgery. Also, mannerisms, speech and the way someone write can give away age.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:40 PM

6 posts, read 8,309 times
Default Ways around age discrimination by employers

Although it is illegal to discriminate by age, watch the way ads are worded. For example, if you see an ad that contains the words "high energy," it is code for young.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:58 PM

429 posts, read 296,966 times
"high energy" "young company" "great for retiree" or "great for college student" "we welcome mothers returning to work" I see all of this and more.

s.i.c.k. somebody should notify EEOC. You can't have that in ads..

Old 08-03-2016, 03:10 PM

96 posts, read 65,374 times
"Junior <insert job title here>", "Associate <insert job title here>", "Intern - <insert job title here>"

Old 08-03-2016, 03:16 PM

5,188 posts, read 3,517,658 times
Huh?

If they're looking for someone closer to your age .... who is closer to your age than, you yourself?

Old 08-03-2016, 04:28 PM

32,421 posts, read 59,921,822 times
As a 57-year-old looking for full-time work in a highly skilled professional field ... yes. I see it all the time.

I most recently was hired part-time because of my experience -- so that's something! and the boss is 20 years younger than me -- but unfortunately the organization doesn't have the budget for another full-time employee.

The only things I have going for me is that I made a career change in my late 30s, so my previous career has been left off my resume -- and I don't look my age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or