U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 04:19 PM

317 posts, read 530,575 times

Advertisements

I was contacted by HR because they have tried to reach out to all three of my previous supervisors and only 2 of them were actually available. The third one seems to be on vacation so I contacted the other assistant that I used to work with to help me reach out to her. It happens that she's no longer working with the old team but I figured since we we worked together and we have kind of kept in touch over the past 2 years, that she would also give a good reference.

I told my coworker to let me know whenever they reach out to her. She just emailed me to say that they did call to set up an appointment for tomorrow but she also told them I did not do any of the tasks the HR lady mentioned for the position I have applied for. She said she was just "honest" in her response.

I asked her if it was that one of the questions or she volunteered that information. Again, she said she just "said it as it is". She thinks she knows what I was doing but she absolutely doesn't know S!!!T.

I thought we were in good terms but I am now worried about what she'll say tomorrow.
I have given them another co-worker's information in case this one wasn't reachable. I hope they will also reach out to him as I'm sure my male co-worker will give a more positive feedback. I left in very good terms and none of them should have anything bad to say.

So has anyone ever gotten backstabbed by a co-worker giving a reference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 01:59 PM

3,781 posts, read 2,997,351 times
No, I only provide the names of individuals who have agreed to give me a positive reference and who are familiar with my work.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:15 PM

68 posts, read 66,934 times
Make one solid contact in a company, it does NOT have to be a supervisor. Think outside the box and don't follow the black and white rules with these "requirements". Use that person as a reference each time. Otherwise you run into situations like this where you ruin yourself at the end of the process.

When you resign that instantly gives an employer a reason to hold a vendetta. Why in the world would you allow a previous employer an opportunity to sabotage your future career? There is a reason why you left.

If you have one solid contact then you never fear this result. I would highly recommend you try this method--"Professional" contacts aren't limited to your previous supervisor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or