U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 08:06 AM

1,094 posts, read 630,833 times

Advertisements

I am reviewing my resume and revising my work experience, but there's a problem with one of my jobs. It was a minimum wage job that lasted only several months, got fired, later it became obvious that this company has a deliberately high staff turnover which regularly fires employees.

In my job my team represented a financial firm as their client. Up to now, I've always put the actual employer on my resume, not the firm we were outsourced to represent. We still had to follow the policies of the firm, regularly meet with one of their seniors and were directly responsible for their performance targets.

I hate this company. Local work agencies don't take it seriously, its glassdoor profile is filled with one star reviews, I've bumped into people who used to work there and have nothing nice to say about it. They treat people like crap, it just stinks, I can rely on others for referencing, I just want it off my resume.

So as you've probably guessed by now, my intention is to perhaps use the financial firm name instead of the actual employer name instead. Now is this dishonest to a recruiter? The company also represents other financial and retail services, so maybe it would be more accurate to use the brand of the firm. But would this upset a recruiter if they prodded and found out it wasn't the direct employer? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 06:28 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,361,572 times
You can state something like:

FINANCIAL FIRM 2014-2015
(Contracted through Horrible Temp Agency)
  • Wrote reports
  • Added things
  • etc. etc.

And make the italic part pretty tiny.

The only issue with putting just the financial firm is that it would be uncovered in a background check that you weren't actually an employee there. Better to have it on the resume, just a little less obvious.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:46 PM

68 posts, read 67,455 times
I would label it like this:

Previous Experience

Clerk XYZ Agency Nowhere, CA 2001

And I would highlight the most recent experience. You don't have to put every place you ever worked on a resume. And I wouldn't work to draw attention to what won't get you ahead. You know this place isn't going to get you ahead. Focus on the future more so than trying to justify the past. If you are asked about it, discuss it...if you aren't asked, don't give them more information than they need.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:05 AM

1,094 posts, read 630,833 times
Thanks for the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
And make the italic part pretty tiny.

The only issue with putting just the financial firm is that it would be uncovered in a background check that you weren't actually an employee there. Better to have it on the resume, just a little less obvious.
I used to 'sneak' things into my resume like this, but nowadays prefer a bolder approach where things are very clear. And most companies from experience have been fairly ambivalent towards the finer details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abvincent1 View Post
Focus on the future more so than trying to justify the past. If you are asked about it, discuss it...if you aren't asked, don't give them more information than they need.
It would be great to put something like "Just stop focusing on the past already!" in my work experience section, but it probably wouldn't get me very far. Still you're right, no point in telling things no one really needs to know.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:18 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,340,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
I am reviewing my resume and revising my work experience, but there's a problem with one of my jobs. It was a minimum wage job that lasted only several months, got fired, later it became obvious that this company has a deliberately high staff turnover which regularly fires employees.

In my job my team represented a financial firm as their client. Up to now, I've always put the actual employer on my resume, not the firm we were outsourced to represent. We still had to follow the policies of the firm, regularly meet with one of their seniors and were directly responsible for their performance targets.

I hate this company. Local work agencies don't take it seriously, its glassdoor profile is filled with one star reviews, I've bumped into people who used to work there and have nothing nice to say about it. They treat people like crap, it just stinks, I can rely on others for referencing, I just want it off my resume.

So as you've probably guessed by now, my intention is to perhaps use the financial firm name instead of the actual employer name instead. Now is this dishonest to a recruiter? The company also represents other financial and retail services, so maybe it would be more accurate to use the brand of the firm. But would this upset a recruiter if they prodded and found out it wasn't the direct employer? What do you think?
You should be very careful with this as you could be out of a potential job if you get an offer and they complete a background check. Your EMPLOYER was NOT your client. You worked on a project for the client company- not for them.
So in answer to your question, there's not really a way to take off the "bad" employer from your resume. You could of course list in the description that you worked 100% on XX project for XX client. Recruiters talk and don't like to be tricked, so again i would urge caution. If you had such an awful experience with the company it will likely be known in the business they are in; you won't have to explain why you didn't like working for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or