U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 09:19 PM

5 posts, read 4,108 times

Advertisements

I graduated school last year with a Bachelor's Degree in Sociology and I also have an Associate's degree in Business Administration. What are some interesting careers that I can go for ? Also I do not have a lot of working experience so what are some entry level positions I can apply for and get on the job training and work my way up ? Also, I live in New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 06:32 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,071,165 times
What immediately comes to mind are the low level office positions. So think, data entry clerk, call center rep, customer service rep, marketing assistant, "x" assistant, clerk etc... Not really careers exactly but they can be a good foot hold into a better job. They always say its easier to move up if your internal, so start as the lowly clerk and build your way up.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:31 AM

9,792 posts, read 17,018,828 times
What was your plan when you went to college? Have you contacted your alma maters' respective career centers?

Old 07-08-2016, 11:04 AM

5 posts, read 4,108 times
I met with a career counselor at my school last month and he told me to make a LinkedIn account and try to connect with alumni or jobs that I am interested in. He also gave me some websites to look at such as idealist.org. Also, I asked what I can do with my 2 degrees and he printed out a list of careers and fields that I can go for.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:27 PM

9,792 posts, read 17,018,828 times
What did you plan to do when you graduated? Why did you major in Soc? Did you do any internships?

Old 07-09-2016, 07:53 AM

68 posts, read 67,475 times
What in life excites you the most? GO DO IT and don't focus on what society tells you you "SHOULD" be doing.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:48 AM

352 posts, read 136,336 times
try to get an internship or join a program like 2 years training program or something.

Good luck

Old 07-09-2016, 05:44 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,434,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abvincent1 View Post
What in life excites you the most? GO DO IT and don't focus on what society tells you you "SHOULD" be doing.
Laying on the beach, watching movies, and having sex excite me.
Now how does that help my career?

Old 07-09-2016, 08:56 PM

71 posts, read 56,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llilac2481 View Post
I graduated school last year with a Bachelor's Degree in Sociology and I also have an Associate's degree in Business Administration. What are some interesting careers that I can go for ? Also I do not have a lot of working experience so what are some entry level positions I can apply for and get on the job training and work my way up ? Also, I live in New York.
"Entry level" is an interesting category because it is many different things to many different people. To some employers it means you did an internship every semester of your college career, while to others it means you have 1 year of experience, and to others it means you have 2-5 years of previous experience. Others may specifically require x years of "related" experience as entry level. Some "entry level" positions only require 1 or fewer years of experience but rely on specified skill sets that it would have taken you longer to obtain outside of your major. Typing in "entry level" will create a lot of complicated results that will leave you somewhat frustrated.

One question I'd ask here if I were you is - how invested you were in your major and are you determined to find a related job? If so, try to find positions looking for someone with a Bachelor's in your field(s) with 1 or fewer years of experience (internships can partially count to some employers). If not, as others have mentioned, entry level jobs that will give you something to do or train you from the ground up are also an option but are worlds apart from college and will take some adjustment.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:42 AM

436 posts, read 332,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonkane View Post
"Entry level" is an interesting category because it is many different things to many different people. To some employers it means you did an internship every semester of your college career, while to others it means you have 1 year of experience, and to others it means you have 2-5 years of previous experience. Others may specifically require x years of "related" experience as entry level. Some "entry level" positions only require 1 or fewer years of experience but rely on specified skill sets that it would have taken you longer to obtain outside of your major. Typing in "entry level" will create a lot of complicated results that will leave you somewhat frustrated.

One question I'd ask here if I were you is - how invested you were in your major and are you determined to find a related job? If so, try to find positions looking for someone with a Bachelor's in your field(s) with 1 or fewer years of experience (internships can partially count to some employers). If not, as others have mentioned, entry level jobs that will give you something to do or train you from the ground up are also an option but are worlds apart from college and will take some adjustment.
Yeah it is interesting. Many moons ago I worked an entry level job in my academic field and was miserable. The next job I had was another entry level job in a field I had no experience in. Completely different industry with about 4x the salary as the previous. Strange world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or