U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-12-2016, 07:40 PM
 
434 posts, read 258,811 times
Reputation: 549

Advertisements

Unless they say that unsolicited applications/résumés are accepted I wouldn't submit one just to hope they respond now or in the future. An exception would be if an online application system allows you to build a profile ahead of time I might go ahead and do it to save some hassle later when something does come up (if it's likely I'd be looking for a position with them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2016, 07:48 AM
 
1,408 posts, read 773,019 times
Reputation: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
How does that work anyways?

Most corporations have budgetary restrictions on numbers of personnel they can hire at each level.

Sure, one can apply or send in their resume at any time. But what's the chances of that doing anything when there's no openings?
yeah i mean that's why i asked, to get people's opinions on whether or not its worth it. but i guess i thought that since it's a cpa firm, if they took on another employee who is already experienced and up to speed they could bring in more clients/work. i feel like if it's a client based business they can only bring on a certain number of clients with a certain number of employees... so an extra employee means extra clients. i could be totally wrong though lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2016, 11:02 AM
 
2,897 posts, read 1,074,903 times
Reputation: 2441
Tried it. Never go anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2016, 04:33 PM
 
Location: ohio
2,756 posts, read 1,323,986 times
Reputation: 3128
I worked many years for a branch of a large corporation. If they are not hiring, mailed in or delivered in person, your resume goes in the circular file.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2016, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
9,018 posts, read 8,436,790 times
Reputation: 15621
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
yeah i mean that's why i asked, to get people's opinions on whether or not its worth it.
This is a bit different from your OP. I originally assumed you were interested in seeing if an unsolicited resume would get you blacklisted, but your more recent post asks if it is worth the effort.

No, an unsolicited resume won't get you blacklisted, but it most likely wouldn't help either. It is really, really unlikely to pay off to the extent that it is worth spending postage on.

Your job hunting time and energy are better spent tailoring applucations to advertised positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2016, 05:18 AM
 
Location: Pittsford, NY
532 posts, read 628,839 times
Reputation: 587
A small company it might work, and preferably a smaller community where they might welcome some new input. Most places it won't work, but a few places it might.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 07:17 AM
 
352 posts, read 136,282 times
Reputation: 263
Online? no

Personally? maybe you can try. I got my first real job going personally to the company, gave the reception my CV, asked her if there are openings and she told me she will check. I said thank you and walked out the door.

In 2 weeks time the HR manager called me for interview and I got the job. I didn't know they have openings it was not advertised at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 07:29 AM
 
550 posts, read 275,797 times
Reputation: 215
I got my job by sending resume in the mail without them having a job opening. It took 3 weeks and some no or no reponses before my job now called me for an interview. I honestly had thought it hadn't worked by the time j got the call. I've been working there for a year now. So I would say try it, it can't hurt and you could be the 1% who gets the job.

I did make sure all my resume and cover letters had a handwritten thank you note in them too. I sent out like 20 letters, I would do it again.

Never know what could happen until you try I also work for a very small law firm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 07:59 AM
 
1,408 posts, read 773,019 times
Reputation: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose88 View Post
Online? no

Personally? maybe you can try. I got my first real job going personally to the company, gave the reception my CV, asked her if there are openings and she told me she will check. I said thank you and walked out the door.

In 2 weeks time the HR manager called me for interview and I got the job. I didn't know they have openings it was not advertised at that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
I got my job by sending resume in the mail without them having a job opening. It took 3 weeks and some no or no reponses before my job now called me for an interview. I honestly had thought it hadn't worked by the time j got the call. I've been working there for a year now. So I would say try it, it can't hurt and you could be the 1% who gets the job.

I did make sure all my resume and cover letters had a handwritten thank you note in them too. I sent out like 20 letters, I would do it again.

Never know what could happen until you try I also work for a very small law firm.
okay this gives me hope thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 10:57 AM
 
550 posts, read 275,797 times
Reputation: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
okay this gives me hope thank you
Good luck! If you can maybe drop places you are really interested in person? I did that with my job and I made sure to have the lawyer name on it so the mail went to him.

I hope it works out for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top