U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 08:19 AM

332 posts, read 831,288 times

Advertisements

I applied for a job yesterday that required me to register on Monster.com and create a profile, post a resume, etc... My background is in goverment-I've worked at the federal, state, and local levels over the last 10 years, and I'm currently pursuing an MPA. Since yesterday I've gotten an email from AFLACinviting me to an "informational interview" and a voicemail from someone who sounded like they were in a busy call center somewhere. I could not make out where the person was calling from. Is this common once you've posted a resume on Monster? The AFLAC opportunity sounds interesting, but I currently have a job, (I'm just looking for a better one) so I need to use my time off wisely when considering interviews, etc... I'd love to hear from others who have answered these solicitations and how it went.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 08:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,757 posts, read 54,390,602 times
Everyone that posts a resume on Monster or other sites gets a response from AFLAC. Sorry to tell you that it's really not interest in you for a job, but rather they are trying to sell you on becoming a self-employed, independent agent, not an employee. They do have real jobs, but those are not solicited, they are listed for people to apply.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:30 AM

8,789 posts, read 13,277,872 times
It is a bad idea to post your resume on those sites with your phone number and primary email (get a toss away free email). It is a rat's nest of multilevel marketing/insurance companies, lousy staffing agencies, for profit college recruiters, and outright scammers. Do your due diligence before responding to anything from those boards.

What typically happens with the insurance jobs is you pay to be able to sell their insurance products on commission only, your only sales are to friends and family who take pity on you, you quit when you run out of friends and family and the next people up on the pyramid get your accounts and your leads and you end up having wasted a lot of time and money.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:30 AM

332 posts, read 831,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Everyone that posts a resume on Monster or other sites gets a response from AFLAC. Sorry to tell you that it's really not interest in you for a job, but rather they are trying to sell you on becoming a self-employed, independent agent, not an employee. They do have real jobs, but those are not solicited, they are listed for people to apply.
That's what I figured but wanted to confirm. I have no background in sales, nor do I want a job in sales. I apply mostly for government jobs at the state, local, and county levels, so I had never posted a resume on Monster or any of the other big jobs sites before. My actual end goal is to become a township or city manager/administrator. Currently I am a mid-level manager for a municipality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It is a bad idea to post your resume on those sites with your phone number and primary email (get a toss away free email). It is a rat's nest of multilevel marketing/insurance companies, lousy staffing agnecies, for profit college recruiters, and outright scammers. Do your due diligence before responding to anything from those boards.
The job I had applied for was with a local transit authority. Authorities (because they generate their own revenue) are not bound by some of the usual state regulations as far as posting positions, so they use Monster for whatever reason. Usually the jobs I apply for are via email directly to the hiring manager at a government agency.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:59 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,854,906 times
Chemist is right. Monster and Careerbuilder are trash. Indeed is much better as well as Linkedin.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,757 posts, read 54,390,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deere110 View Post
That's what I figured but wanted to confirm. I have no background in sales, nor do I want a job in sales. I apply mostly for government jobs at the state, local, and county levels, so I had never posted a resume on Monster or any of the other big jobs sites before. My actual end goal is to become a township or city manager/administrator. Currently I am a mid-level manager for a municipality.

The job I had applied for was with a local transit authority. Authorities (because they generate their own revenue) are not bound by some of the usual state regulations as far as posting positions, so they use Monster for whatever reason. Usually the jobs I apply for are via email directly to the hiring manager at a government agency.
We will actually post some lower level jobs on Craigslist, but other than our own external website, we mostly use Linkedin, and a regional clearinghouse site just for public agencies (link below). It always seems to have several city manager jobs listed on it. Maybe there is a similar site in your area. I found my job on this one, and several of the people that I have hired here came from it.

AWC JobNet - Search jobs

Old 07-12-2016, 06:38 PM

918 posts, read 1,038,801 times
Put your resume as searchable and every random (usually low level) recruiter will cold call you like a ex-girlfriend/boyfriend still in love. Also the random spambots will get your email too

Old 07-12-2016, 07:19 PM

17 posts, read 12,828 times
Out of desperation I placed my resume with Monster and a couple of other sites and get the occasional email. It's usually some shady insurance company that promises an independent sales position. However, whenever an employer whose company I haven't applied to contacts me out of the blue I'm immediately suspicious.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:54 PM

1,579 posts, read 1,545,480 times
Reading this thread encouraged me to cancel my monster account. In the past few months, I got calls from Indian people I could barely understand telling me about contract assignment jobs that barely require an Associate's degree. If they read my resume, they'd see I have a Master's degree.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:25 AM

352 posts, read 135,791 times
I get spam emails from monster every day about fake people asking for interviews

waste of time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or