U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 01:43 PM

4,681 posts, read 2,306,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The problem is, this kind of question provides no insight into experience or anything else. All it provides insight into is how well the person can BS the answer. I mean, what do you expect them to say:

A. "My most difficult experience with X was I didn't know how to program the fram-a-stan valve and had to get Joe to do it after causing a week delay in the project."

OR

B. "My most difficult experience with X was when I discovered the fram-a-stan valve didn't properly interface with the doohickey software so I quickly formed a team and led the problem resolution effort to minimize impact to the thing-a-ma-*** project.

So you hire "B" while overlooking the person who never had the problem in the first place, but got stuck on how to describe a problem they never had.
Advocates might claim that asking the inexperienced candidate A about something which he/she hasn't yet experienced can give great insight as to how they handle unfamiliar situations. What is their thought process, how do they react to it, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 07:44 PM

6,883 posts, read 3,743,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Advocates might claim that asking the inexperienced candidate A about something which he/she hasn't yet experienced can give great insight as to how they handle unfamiliar situations. What is their thought process, how do they react to it, etc.
Sorry I wasn't clear. What I was trying to say is the same candidate could answer with either answer A if honest or answer B if not. Those advocates would pick the person who answered B even if it was a total lie because it fits what they want the answer to be. That's why so many of us are against the question type because it doesn't actually provide more information; it only provides the illusion of it.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:21 PM

4,681 posts, read 2,306,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear. What I was trying to say is the same candidate could answer with either answer A if honest or answer B if not. Those advocates would pick the person who answered B even if it was a total lie because it fits what they want the answer to be. That's why so many of us are against the question type because it doesn't actually provide more information; it only provides the illusion of it.
Ah gotcha, makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or