U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 09:59 AM

639 posts, read 344,035 times

Advertisements

I had one where the recruiter told me I would have to complete an app with very specific instructions, have an interview, be given some tests with more specific questions, and then a tour. If after the tour I was not invited in for another meeting, it was a no. And that is exactly how it went.

It was a strange company culture so just as well.

cd :O)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 11:41 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,443,435 times
Let's put it this way...it's not a *bad* sign at least. It could be good, it could be neutral, but if they thought you were utterly awful they probably wouldn't waste their time.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:36 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,490,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygrant View Post
I just had an interview and it went well and ended with a tour of the office and a discussion of the training I would undergo. Does this mean I'm going to get the job?
I think it's a fair assumption that they didn't disqualify you already. I would always give any viable candidate a quick tour. If they were really strong, I'd give them the whole facility tour. If they sucked, the interview ended with no tour and the functional equivalent of "don't call us, we'll call you" by dumping them back at HR.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:50 PM

3,672 posts, read 6,058,857 times
If I were interviewing a couple candidates in person I'd probably give them all that same tour, even if I got a weird feeling about one of them. If I were interviewing a bunch of candidates in person I might be more picky about whom I give the tour to. I think my willingness to give a tour would also depend on the physical size of the office as well as the size of the staff.

I think its safe to say you're not disqualified at this point as others have said, however I'm not sure I'd put too much stock into the office tour alone.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:57 PM

228 posts, read 292,059 times
It doesn't mean much sometimes it's a way to kill time till the next interviewee shows up. On the countless interviews I had throughout the years 1 of them stand out. Once I was interviewing for an engineering position and after the interview the interviewer gave me a tour of the facilities and then led me to the exit door. With the parting words of "Good luck", which I knew that meant I didn't get the job.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:35 PM

575 posts, read 517,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmelon View Post
It can go either way. Here's my recent experience back in May of this year:

I had what thought was a fantastic interview with a world renowned electronics, gaming and VR company. After my interview, the HR person showed me around the campus, then took me to the on-site gym where she said "you will be working out here" and then showed me the massage room. She also took me through the cafeteria and then proceeded to explain the employee discount on their products in great detail. I felt great afterwards, though was I still skeptical (I've been around...). Two days later I received the canned email rejection "...we moved forward with another candidate who was a better fit." I didn't even get the respect of a personalized email rejection. Oh well, their loss.

Job hunting is brutal - especially in the SF Bay Area.
Time to start your own business and compete with the big impersonal business. Why do people even want to work someplace where you're just a number?

Old 07-13-2016, 03:51 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,333,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygrant View Post
I just had an interview and it went well and ended with a tour of the office and a discussion of the training I would undergo. Does this mean I'm going to get the job?
this could go either way to be honest. I would take it as a positive that they showed your around; but talking about the potential training would be something provided to everyone. This also depends on who it was you were interviewing with- the direct manager would be a lot more positive; a recruiter or lower level colleague could just mean they were being nice and showing you around a bit.

Either way i've found it's best to keep your options open until you actually get an offer. That way you're not losing out on other potential good opportunities because you think you're getting an offer (and may not).

best of luck

Old 07-13-2016, 05:12 PM

145 posts, read 70,396 times
At my prior job, I got the tour and obviously the job. I was given the tour at a final round interview a few months back. They referenced one last thing during the interview which turned out to be another psychology test. I can only surmise they gave everyone who interviewed that day the tour. It depends on the employer.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:39 PM

918 posts, read 1,038,801 times
Usually does not mean anything. The decision is never made until all the people that interview you hold a meeting and discuss the pro/con of you.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:28 PM

17,252 posts, read 10,176,823 times
As with anything else on this forum asked in regards to whether it's a good or bad sign of things happening or things said during interviews, we don't know.

Could be good, could be meaningless and just a check off the box sort of thing. Multiple variables.

My manager gives all interviewees a tour of the work areas after the main interviews. Not all of them got a job offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search