Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 05:01 AM

86 posts, read 122,540 times

Advertisements

I just had an interview and it went well and ended with a tour of the office and a discussion of the training I would undergo. Does this mean I'm going to get the job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 05:51 AM

406 posts, read 556,104 times
It could go either way. It's either a very good thing, or something they do for every candidate.

That being said, I've never been given a tour and NOT gotten the job.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:11 AM

729 posts, read 959,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygrant View Post
I just had an interview and it went well and ended with a tour of the office and a discussion of the training I would undergo. Does this mean I'm going to get the job?
I would consider that a real positive. When the opposite happens and you get a 30 minute interview of generalities in some front office with no tour of facilities or labs or anything else, that is a definite negative.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:46 AM

6,432 posts, read 7,718,985 times
It's a good sign but the only thing that means you got the job is when you get the job.

Best of luck.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:54 AM

41,940 posts, read 36,703,214 times
It means nothing. Sometimes the tours mean we want you to like the place, sometimes its a time killer so they are going to skip having you meet with someone else, sometimes its just a standard thing they do.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:31 AM

96 posts, read 100,214 times
It can go either way. Here's my recent experience back in May of this year:

I had what thought was a fantastic interview with a world renowned electronics, gaming and VR company. After my interview, the HR person showed me around the campus, then took me to the on-site gym where she said "you will be working out here" and then showed me the massage room. She also took me through the cafeteria and then proceeded to explain the employee discount on their products in great detail. I felt great afterwards, though was I still skeptical (I've been around...). Two days later I received the canned email rejection "...we moved forward with another candidate who was a better fit." I didn't even get the respect of a personalized email rejection. Oh well, their loss.

Job hunting is brutal - especially in the SF Bay Area.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:43 AM

973 posts, read 905,900 times
Eh, most of the time an office tour is pretty standard for you to see the area that you might be working in and to meet some folks along the way. It's not a guarantee that you'll get the job but getting a tour is certainly better than not getting one.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:13 AM

87,957 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Might also be the opportunity for potential coworkers to observe you and provide their input.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:49 AM

8,071 posts, read 9,985,879 times
Job interviews go both ways. They are looking at you, but all else being equal (which isn't generally true these days), you are looking at them as well. You want to see that the place isn't a dump and get a glimpse of the work environment.

Having said that, all of the above posters have pretty much discussed all possibilities: Time killer, show and tell time, maybe they really want to show you the work place, maybe they do it for everyone that can fog a mirror, or maybe....slight chance....they think you might be the one.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:55 AM

3,864 posts, read 6,769,370 times
As a hiring manager, I try to avoid showing the place to a candidate who I feel may not fit in. However, sometimes they enter through the wrong door or the open conference room is all the way on the other end of the office and I feel obligated to explain each work section as we snake around the office. I definitely don't introduce the team or anything though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search