U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2016, 06:06 AM
 
Location: West Virginia
106 posts, read 105,999 times
Reputation: 75

Advertisements

I am going to trade school starting next month. It's 8am-2:40pm Monday-Friday. I'm trying to get the most financial gain from working 2 evenings per week plus 12 hour days on the weekends. I was thinking serving or bartending. There are some jobs listed right now for those. I'm nervous about the possibility for slow days and missing on income as opposed to a solid hourly rate where I don't depend on tips. I am an adult with financial responsibilities so not making income on any given day that I work is not an option. Thought I'd use the collective knowledge of the work and employment board for a fresh perspective.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2016, 03:11 PM
 
1,378 posts, read 1,339,557 times
Reputation: 1203
honestly you may have a hard time finding a serving/bartending job with that limited availability - do you have experience in resturants/bars? If not, they're actually not that easy to just get.. So then you go possibly go the retail route- but will be competing with everyone else who is in school for just weekend hours or evenings on specific days. Those specific days during the week will hurt you when applying for a job; as the employer typicalyl wants a potential employee to have the most open availability they can get. So i would recommend something like Uber/Lyft where you could set your hours; or restaurant delvvery services (depends on your location but some i've heard of: Grubgo, Grubhub, waiteronwheels, 569dine, just look for your own options in your metro). best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2016, 03:45 PM
 
13,325 posts, read 25,586,246 times
Reputation: 20530
Hospitals/nursing homes. Get a CNA and work as an aide. Benefits for part-time if you don't have them through school or spouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2016, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles CA
1,637 posts, read 933,624 times
Reputation: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
honestly you may have a hard time finding a serving/bartending job with that limited availability - do you have experience in resturants/bars? If not, they're actually not that easy to just get.. So then you go possibly go the retail route- but will be competing with everyone else who is in school for just weekend hours or evenings on specific days. Those specific days during the week will hurt you when applying for a job; as the employer typicalyl wants a potential employee to have the most open availability they can get. So i would recommend something like Uber/Lyft where you could set your hours; or restaurant delvvery services (depends on your location but some i've heard of: Grubgo, Grubhub, waiteronwheels, 569dine, just look for your own options in your metro). best of luck
I'm not sure it be that hard. Most people hate working weekends and nights. Especially if its constitent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2016, 06:00 AM
 
Location: West Virginia
106 posts, read 105,999 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Hospitals/nursing homes. Get a CNA and work as an aide. Benefits for part-time if you don't have them through school or spouse.
I'm already going to school for something and I only need this employment for the 10 months that I am attending trade school. Once I'm done I will start in the field, I hope. It's just a temporary situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2016, 06:05 AM
 
Location: West Virginia
106 posts, read 105,999 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
I'm not sure it be that hard. Most people hate working weekends and nights. Especially if its constitent.
This was my line of thinking. I do have restaurant experience, but it was a long time ago. I have excellent customer service skills and experience though. I think the serving part would be easy to pick up since I did spend 3 years in a restaurant as a teen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2016, 06:13 AM
 
4,102 posts, read 2,959,690 times
Reputation: 7137
What about Costco? They pay well and offer benefits for part-time employees. It's not the most glamorous job in the world but who cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2016, 06:22 AM
 
Location: Eastern Colorado
3,768 posts, read 4,645,151 times
Reputation: 4899
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
I'm not sure it be that hard. Most people hate working weekends and nights. Especially if its constitent.
Most people in the bar and restaurant business know that nights and weekends are where the tips are at, so they plan to work the busy times to make more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2016, 06:24 AM
 
Location: Eastern Colorado
3,768 posts, read 4,645,151 times
Reputation: 4899
How about Uber or Lyft? I have worked for both and they are not bad side money in some areas, and you set your own work schedules, the days you want to work to can work they days you don't you don't have to. You can PM me and I might be able to get you a sign on bonus depending on what is offered in your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2016, 06:31 AM
 
1,378 posts, read 1,339,557 times
Reputation: 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature mama View Post
This was my line of thinking. I do have restaurant experience, but it was a long time ago. I have excellent customer service skills and experience though. I think the serving part would be easy to pick up since I did spend 3 years in a restaurant as a teen.
you can always try - i'm just saying that folks assume those are easy jobs to get and they usually aren't especially for the places that actually have good tips. Of course i'm not in your locality so you would know your job market better; i just wanted to give you some other ideas if that doesn't work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top