U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2016, 11:51 AM
 
1 posts, read 557 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Last week I applied for a position and left my mobile number as my point of contact. At times when I'm on the go, I would rather not miss a potential employer calling so I listed my mobile number as my point of contact. Well my mobile phone just died and the potential employer just sent an email asking for a phone interview.

Would it be a red flag to let the employer know I'll like to be reached at a different number? It will take up to 3 days before I'll have my cell back working again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2016, 11:58 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,414,562 times
Reputation: 19654
Um, no. Why would it be a red flag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 12:01 PM
 
17,307 posts, read 10,212,749 times
Reputation: 28831
Yeah, why would that be a red flag?

Don't sweat the small stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 07:37 PM
 
4,030 posts, read 7,677,006 times
Reputation: 3518
Unbelievable! Tell him the scoop. Do not kiss up to these people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Seattle
1,788 posts, read 1,021,935 times
Reputation: 3070
Do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 09:22 PM
 
1,751 posts, read 2,835,514 times
Reputation: 2068
No, its fine. I will take it one step further.


Years ago I had a phone interview. They called my cell, but I didn't get great service at my parents' house and the call kept on dropping. It was a conference call between myself and a few hiring managers. I felt so bad. I had them call me on the house phone instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 09:37 PM
 
1,500 posts, read 2,358,975 times
Reputation: 3571
Relax, it's no big deal.

Just reply with a "Sure, that day and time works for me. The best number to reach me at is... I look forward to speaking with you then."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2016, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
12,184 posts, read 10,368,595 times
Reputation: 33215
I'd probably also pick up a new phone before three days since it's so easy. You can buy cheap phones now and return any phone within a few weeks but no giving a new number isn't a red flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2016, 12:26 PM
 
15,370 posts, read 17,625,409 times
Reputation: 13496
Relax. Give them the phone# to reach you for the interview.

Why don't you see if you can forward your cell phone# to your landline for now. You should be able to login without your device and set this up. Do this as a backup plan in case other calls come in.

For the meeting - it's possibly that they give you a conference# and meeting#. I find that maybe 20% do it this way and the remaining 80% call you directly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 09:34 AM
 
9,778 posts, read 16,990,740 times
Reputation: 18395
You are overthinking this. A phone interview should be scheduled just like any other interview, so it might not even happen for a week or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top