U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 01:12 PM

10 posts, read 6,912 times

Advertisements

I have been married over a year. I am a teacher. My husband is finishing a doctorate in a specialized form of engineering. His university he is with is the top school in the country for this field. Our fields are completely opposite, so I don't know how to help him.
He is defending in September, but has now started the job search. He has gotten interviews (number 5 is coming up), but he keeps losing the job. The last one, he claimed he messed up a question they asked him because he was nervous. He has interviewed with big name companies. We have no problem moving.
This whole process is not helping our marriage. I want him to work, and don't understand why he keeps missing out because I am not a science person. He does have internship, work experience, and published papers. I'm a little annoyed his dad isn't helping him more-he is a phD level as well and is in a related field.
I told him to prioritize his applications and complete ones that are directly sent to his university before Linkedin stuff. But I have no clue what else to do. I thought with this degree he would have his pick of a job! Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 01:22 PM

436 posts, read 329,909 times
Would you say he's over educated but under experienced?

Old 07-15-2016, 02:11 PM

5,113 posts, read 2,597,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
Would you say he's over educated but under experienced?
This is my thought as well.

I've trained young engineers with masters and they were always surprised how much of the job they never learned and how little of what they learned were applied.

OP, I wish your husband the best. Hopefully, he will find something. In engineering, field experience always trump education.

Edit.

OP, understand that he didn't get the job because of a single question he messed up. In engineering, we fully understand that not all good engineers are good communicators. What matters the most, especially with those who have never worked in the field before, is how fast they can pick things up. In my experience, we can't know if the potential employee will succeed or not. I've had some very good interviews that turned out to be he worst mistakes and I've also had horrible Iinterviews that resulted in very good hires.

Last edited by MetroWord; 07-15-2016 at 02:21 PM..

Old 07-15-2016, 02:22 PM

517 posts, read 624,399 times
Try non-big name companies, they may run ads but what they want doesn't exist basically on planet earth.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:06 PM

68 posts, read 66,873 times
I don't know where he is, but if he applied to my state's transportation agency they would probably take him on the spot. I suspect many people think he wants too much money and offers little experience for it. Try government, he will probably have luck there.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:27 PM

798 posts, read 737,342 times
Default Husband Can't Engineering Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyCello View Post
My husband is finishing a doctorate in a specialized form of engineering. His university he is with is the top school in the country for this field.

....has now started the job search. He has gotten interviews (number 5 is coming up), but he keeps losing the job. The last one, he claimed he messed up a question they asked him because he was nervous. He has interviewed with big name companies.

.....don't understand why he keeps missing out.... He does have internship, work experience, and published papers. .....I thought with this degree he would have his pick of a job! Help!

Seems odd that of the responses here, not one asked what kind of Engineer your husband is.

Offering assessments without even knowing what discipline within engineering your husband wants to work in.....

Don't understand why you have neglected to indicate his specialty- no can give a 'reason' w/o knowing which market he would be working in.

Paul....

Old 07-15-2016, 04:38 PM

15,353 posts, read 17,598,692 times
Find online courses on interviewing. Both youtube and other sites from professional career/HR types that give tips. Pick the best few and give to him.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:28 PM

506 posts, read 267,624 times
Ex-engineer here... A couple of details will help us make more targeted suggestions:
1. What "specialized form of engineering" is your husband in? Tribology? (I almost went into that - it's the science of lubrication). Photonics?
2. What kind of job is he looking for? With a PhD, he's overqualified for entry-level jobs where most engineers start their careers. Does he want to do pure research? Applied research?

Your current post is too vague for us to help.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:32 PM

He is in polymer engineering with an undergrad in chemical engineering. He has had more interviews than others in his group, but no job yet. He has done multiple internships and spent three summers working for the military in a research institute. I think he actually has decent experience. He has an interview next week out of state so I would like to help him if at all possible!!! He doesn't care what job it is as

Old 07-15-2016, 05:41 PM

He doesn't care what job he does as long as it is industry and not academia. He primarily works with coatings (sorry for my ignorance!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search