U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 04:34 PM

4,649 posts, read 2,289,319 times

Advertisements

When I submit a thank you note, I damn well expect to receive some sort of rejection email should I not get hired. Call it an entitlement mentality or not; I just don't think professionalism is a one-way street. A company which doesn't have the decency to let you know that you're out of the running despite your thank you note, or any other method of follow up, isn't worth your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 05:03 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,971,140 times
We don't expect them, we rarely receive them, and they go in the trash after we open them. Edit to say that we let everyone know when they have been cut and are out of the running.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:41 PM

789 posts, read 1,680,053 times
I typically receive them from candidates, either via email or USPS, but they honestly don't mean anything to me. So I don't bother sending them. I haven't found that not sending them hinders potential offers.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:32 AM

68 posts, read 66,873 times
I believe life is like a regression analysis. One minute you are in the doldrums and the next you are soaring through the clouds. However, eventually it all comes back to an average of all the above. I think even if you had a miserable interview or if the person was mean or whatever you should still send him/her a thank you note. Much like every one of us, you never know why the person acted that way---maybe he had a flat on the way to work, etc.--you get the point. So take the high road and thank the person regardless. It's a good reflection and the right thing to do.

Eventually your less than happy situation of job searching will end with you going from the doldrums to the clouds and this person may help you do that. Not to mention you will feel great about yourself for acting with class.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:40 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,855,579 times
I did one and still didn't get the job. They don't really matter.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:21 PM

1,036 posts, read 785,868 times
I have always sent a Thank You note. If the employer is impressed by a note, it would tend to indicate we have similar values. I always send Thank You notes for presents, too. Nevertheless, it seems to be a dying tradition, like using a turn signal.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:26 PM

1,193 posts, read 715,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
I read that hiring managers expect them, but only 25% of interviewees or less actually send thank you notes. Is this common courtesy becoming more common or less?
Only for the job you want

Old 08-17-2016, 10:26 AM

1,177 posts, read 752,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Not going to take my time to thank someone who most likely wasn't even going to hire me anyway. What do I have to thank about you at least in a whole paragraph until you give me an offer? To do so would be insincere.

But I do say "nice meeting you" or something like that at the end of the interview which I would think is just as efficient. A short sentence at the end is all that should be necessary.
If I feel it went well and/or they are a company that hires often, I will send an email or actual card. If it didn't go well and/or I know they don't hire often, I don't bother. I do say in person thank you for the opportunity and how nice they and the company are either way. I used to send all sort of thank yous and phone in after interviews, but imo you just came off as a nuisance if they don't like you/aren't interested. You also have to understand sometimes, for various reasons, people will recommend you to other jobs/companies. I think they're more likely to do that with a lukewarm (not bad, just not great) interview than someone they deemed as a pain or demanding.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:38 AM

206 posts, read 106,939 times
I have done it, and it has turned into job offers.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:02 PM

5,382 posts, read 2,194,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
I do it every time.

So do I. If the hiring manager reads or does not read it doesn't really matter to me, but I sure want to thank them for their time because it is the polite thing to do.

It takes 2 minutes to send an email thanking the interviewer for their time and to express again your enthusiasm/interest/excitement about the position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or