U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2016, 11:27 PM

3,410 posts, read 3,548,354 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

To make a long story short...I turned down a good interview opportunity for what I considered at the time a great job offer.

Fast forward two months and I am now regreting not accepting the interview proposal. Don't want to go into all the details as to why I am not happy at my current job. All boils down to an incompetent boss and unclear job responsibilities.

Well turns out the position that I had been invited to interview for has been reopened.

I really want to apply. However, I am now faced with the following predicament.

Found out that my current boss knows the boss at the potential new job. They have worked together before. They have similar titles and possibly could be good friends.

I seriously doubt that the new employer would hire me if they new where I am currently working now. It is quite possible that the new employer already knows where and who I am working for.

So sending an email to re-state interest could backfire.

Do you think reapplying to the new job is worth the risk. I don't plan on staying around at my current job very long any way.

Just looking for the right opportunity. The position with employer B would be a better match for me. I would take a $8k cut in pay. But would gain that back in better benefits and peace of mind. Just not sure how to play my cards with this situation.

Any advice would be fantastic.

Last edited by usamathman; 07-18-2016 at 12:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 12:49 AM

1,751 posts, read 2,835,514 times
Can you risk being unemployed if your old boss finds out and tries to fire you? If you don't plan to stay there very long, besides boss A knowing, what other risks are there? If you're not happy in your current role, and employer B has that same role, how will you be any happier?

Old 07-18-2016, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Can you risk being unemployed if your old boss finds out and tries to fire you? If you don't plan to stay there very long, besides boss A knowing, what other risks are there? If you're not happy in your current role, and employer B has that same role, how will you be any happier?
Great questions.

Things are very disorganized where I am currently working.

Majority of the work I have done the past 2 months has been by my own design and initiative.

My boss doesn't have a clue as to what they are looking for out of my position. No vision. No future plans. Just last minute thrown together initiatives.

The other organization is very well established and doesn't have the same issues as my current organization does.

If I were working for another boss, I wouldn't mind staying on my current job.

But that is not the case.

Just worried that employer b will not give me a chance if they find out where I am currently working.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:03 AM

Well, you don't know if you don't try. Why would they hold it against you and not hire you based on where you are working now? The POINT is that you want to get out, and desire to get on with employer B. Just have to make that clear, and be somewhat positive and generic with why you want to apply. You took employer A, but regret not going through with employer B when you had a chance. As much as you "enjoy" employer A, you are not challenged enough and, from what you have heard, employer B will give you that opportunity.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Well, you don't know if you don't try. Why would they hold it against you and not hire you based on where you are working now? The POINT is that you want to get out, and desire to get on with employer B. Just have to make that clear, and be somewhat positive and generic with why you want to apply. You took employer A, but regret not going through with employer B when you had a chance. As much as you "enjoy" employer A, you are not challenged enough and, from what you have heard, employer B will give you that opportunity.
All great points.

Thank you for the insight!

Old 07-18-2016, 01:21 AM

You're welcome. Please keep me/us updated!

Good luck!

Old 07-18-2016, 05:50 PM

Just re-applied. No idea how things will end up. Just to the point where change is needed. Thanks again for advice.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:38 PM

10,062 posts, read 4,668,516 times
Quote:
All boils down to an incompetent boss and unclear job responsibilities.
what makes you think the new boss would be any better if they are buddies? If they know each other and the other one is competent then he would know your boss isn't and wouldn't ask for personal input beyond basic questions. If both aren't competent then no reason to switch.

Why didn't you take interview first time even if you already had a job offered? Going to an interview isn't getting a job, just go to them just to keep skills up and see what is out there.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:57 PM

580 posts, read 437,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
what makes you think the new boss would be any better if they are buddies? If they know each other and the other one is competent then he would know your boss isn't and wouldn't ask for personal input beyond basic questions. If both aren't competent then no reason to switch.

Why didn't you take interview first time even if you already had a job offered? Going to an interview isn't getting a job, just go to them just to keep skills up and see what is out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search