Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 11:50 AM

345 posts, read 252,159 times

Advertisements

Is it true that if you 'just aren't into them' you won't keep the candidate informed of what is going on in the interview process? I know it's only been 7 business days, but they flew me to Denver and I met with 5 people (the 5th person was added at the last minute). They seemed like they were really into me-When can you start? Do you have any upcoming vacation plans? Unfortunately I didn't get a timeline, but nevertheless I still think if they really wanted me I would hear something back by now (even a quick thanks to my thank you email). Thank you in advance for your experienced replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 12:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
Is it true that if you 'just aren't into them' you won't keep the candidate informed of what is going on in the interview process? I know it's only been 7 business days, but they flew me to Denver and I met with 5 people (the 5th person was added at the last minute). They seemed like they were really into me-When can you start? Do you have any upcoming vacation plans? Unfortunately I didn't get a timeline, but nevertheless I still think if they really wanted me I would hear something back by now (even a quick thanks to my thank you email). Thank you in advance for your experienced replies.
As a hiring manager I have absolutely no contact after the interview until an offer has been accepted, all follow-up is handled by HR. Asking about a start date/vacation plans means nothing, we ask everyone, in fact we ask everyone the same interview questions, only follow-ups vary. Most of the time we tell people that they will hear back in 7-10 days, and HR usually does contact them by the 10th day when not accepted. I will almost always make my decision right after the last interview, but it may take 5-7 days for HR to check references, run a background check, and make/negotiate an offer. Things do happen though, someone is off sick, the background check people are really busy, references don't call back. If it will go beyond the time frame they are told, I ask HR to contact them again, but for most companies "a week" can mean 2-3 weeks.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:20 PM

68 posts, read 123,240 times
Seven days is nothing. It takes a tremendous amount of collaboration to make an employment offer final. I assure you seven days is not that long. At this point the puck is in their control. They have already made up their mind, but a lot of commotion could happen between when that offer is extended to whomever.

Do not give them a reason to think they should second guess you at this point. It's like being five years old and waiting in a line at an amusement park to get on the brand new roller coaster. You can wait patiently and let everyone in line in front of you go knowing you will go eventually, or you can start complaining because the wait is too much and you want to go now! This will make everyone see you as a problem child.

Get what I mean? Don't give them a reason to think you are a problem child at this point in the process. You could provide a very concise follow up email (a few sentences long) but in my view seven days seems aggressive.

Just be patient and keep looking.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:00 PM

Thank you both! Great comments. @Abvincent1 all of my friends and family say I should send a follow up email or call, but I am in 100% agreement with you.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:17 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
We keep everyone informed if they are still in the process or not. How many other people are being flown out? They may do two or three more interviews in the next week or two. Seven days is nothing...

Old 07-18-2016, 07:33 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
We are like Hemlock. After the interview, all contact goes through HR. First we have to complete all interviews. Then make a selection. Then HR has to do all their stuff. Could be several weeks.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
We keep everyone informed if they are still in the process or not. How many other people are being flown out? They may do two or three more interviews in the next week or two. Seven days is nothing...
I'm not sure how many other people are being flown out. Like I said, if they really liked me I would think they would be informing me of what is going on. That's why I posed the question to hiring managers.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:35 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
I'm not sure how many other people are being flown out. Like I said, if they really liked me I would think they would be informing me of what is going on. That's why I posed the question to hiring managers.
What, exactly, do you expect them to inform you of? Did you ask them how many people were being considered or what their time line is? Quite frankly, based on what you have posted, your expectations are not realistic based on the short length of time that has transpired.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:37 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
What, exactly, do you expect them to inform you of? Did you ask them how many people were being considered or what their time line is? Quite frankly, based on what you have posted, your expectations are not realistic based on the short length of time that has transpired.
This. There is nothing to inform you of or about.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Maybe my expectations are high, but something like this which is what I have received in the past after a week: Dear X, We wanted to let you know where we are in the interview process. We are still interviewing other candidates blah blah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search