U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 07:27 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,252,670 times

Advertisements

I was in HR for 8 years and happily got out of that hellhole and am now in Manufacturing Management.

Don't disclose it on the application or during the interview. I don't have to tell you jobs requiring driving are going to be off limits to you for a while.

The majority of companies run a 7-year background check so yes, this is going to show up. Wait until the company makes an offer and is prepared to run the background check to disclose this. Don't go into a lot of detail but be honest and make sure you let them know you have learned from the experience. I've hired people with DUIs before so it's not necessarily a killer in terms of your job search.

I hope that you find a job you enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 07:45 PM

68 posts, read 66,820 times
When you meet people do you divulge your darkest, deepest, personal secrets upon meeting them? This is a similar circumstance where you don't air dirty laundry unless forced unless it specifically asks on the application. Otherwise, don't give them a reason to throw you in the dust bin before they even meet you. Lots of other people have DUIs (sadly). If they ask, tell them the truth and explain. The court system is intended to make people learn from their mistakes, not punish them forever and ruin the rest of their lives (for DUI at least).

Old 07-25-2016, 12:51 AM

4 posts, read 2,890 times
Thanks everyone for the feedback. It is very helpful. As I mentioned in my original post, my background is in healthcare information technology. That is not a direct patient care role, of course, but you will often find yourself working in a hospital setting supporting care providers with computer problems etc. Anyone out there know if the misdemeanor precludes me from working again in this role? I've heard that even a misdemeanor can prevent someone from working with children (education setting), the elderly and the disabled, based on regulations in many states. I'm not sure if that would extend to support staff not working directly with the patients. I know that some nurses have been able to continue with their careers (after jumping through many, many hoops) as care providers, so you wouldn't think an IT worker would always be excluded. Thanks.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:35 PM

22 posts, read 15,231 times
You should check out my topic, I'm in a much serious situation.
But here's what I found. Do not disclose till you get an offer, you want the impress the interviewers enough that when your record is revealed, it wouldn't be much of a problem since you're in IT.
A lot of companies participate in the ban the box program and won't have you fill out that section of the application until after they make an offer.

In my case, I sent my recruiter an email thanking her for the offer and how smoothly the interview process went. And after she responded, I have her a call letting her know of what will come up in the background check.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:59 AM

212 posts, read 140,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It depends on the person hiring. Personally I hate drunk drivers and if I found out their resume would go straight into the trash. To myself, that is a much stronger indicator and level of irresponsibility and inconsideration for others than a bad credit score or poor interview.

Hate is a very strong word. Do you honestly hate all drunk drivers or just the ones who have caused deaths and/or injuries? I would venture to guess that plenty of people have driven impaired, gotten home and have just not gotten caught. It sounds to me as if the OP made a mistake, granted, but she/he did not cause destruction, death or injury. Poor judgment calls are a part of life. Goodness knows, I've made some outrageously stupid decisions in my life and I've glad they are not common knowledge.

To the OP: Do not disclose this in the initial stages of hiring. Don't even disclose a misdemeanor after getting hired. It's none of their business. UNLESS: They inform you of a background check. At that point, explain the circumstances briefly and express your regret and the lesson learned. It does work, but keep in mind that you might get a rejection or two. Don't let it discourage you! I worked in a rehab facility as a volunteer and I've seen the worst or the worst turn their lives around. Very few (aside from the smug and self-righteous) judge them harshly. Your considerably easier situation is fixable.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:03 PM

8,788 posts, read 13,274,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Friday View Post
Hate is a very strong word. Do you honestly hate all drunk drivers or just the ones who have caused deaths and/or injuries? I
The only thing that separates these irresponsible, selfish wastes of human flesh who kill people and those that manage to make it home without incident is luck. I am huge in the cycling community and know people murdered by drunk driving POS's. I would absolutely never want someone that irresponsible and disrespectful of other's lives working for or around me and would immediately fire or rescind their offer if I found out.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:34 PM

212 posts, read 140,313 times
Quote:
The only thing that separates these irresponsible, selfish wastes of human flesh who kill people and those that manage to make it home without incident is luck. I am huge in the cycling community and know people murdered by drunk driving POS's. I would absolutely never want someone that irresponsible and disrespectful of other's lives working for or around me and would immediately fire or rescind their offer if I found out.

You've got your standards. I respect that.

I am so glad that there are others who do not fire/rescind offers because my aunt was redeemed from homelessness and abject poverty by a kindly employer who hired her despite her foibles and past errors. She has now been successfully employed for the last 10 years and moved up to a managerial position. No one would ever be able to guess at her past darkness from the way she lives now.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:57 AM

158 posts, read 74,908 times
Quote:
What if it was over 10 years ago? Something they did at age 18? Still think they are the scum of the earth or have you never made a mistake?

Old 08-23-2016, 12:29 PM

8,788 posts, read 13,274,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle86 View Post
What if it was over 10 years ago? Something they did at age 18? Still think they are the scum of the earth or have you never made a mistake?
I've never wantonly disregarded other's lives like that. Unless you crawled out of a cave on the far side of the moon you know drinking and driving has a very high probability of maiming or killing someone in addition to being illegal yet people do it anyways. That tells me all I need to know about that person's character.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:41 PM

45 posts, read 22,299 times
Quote:
People make mistakes. I personally know a Chief of Police for a major city that has a dui conviction from years ago. The dui involved a collision, non injury. It didn't stop him from making Chief. He made a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search