U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 05:02 AM

6,226 posts, read 5,359,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
Thanks for your suggestion.

That's sort of what I want... but I also am very good at drawing. People tell me I should do THAT.
I visualize myself in the future having my own condo doing ceramics, making paintings, playing music. I really wish I had the liberty to do everything I like.

However, right now I really need a job... obviously. I would like to work for an organization that creates products I enjoy and has a good work atmosphere. I am also interested in massage therapy because I would enjoy helping people feel better physically and with their bodies.

I am very fixated on money right now because I really want to be an independent adult with her own apartment and so on. I really feel very jealous of people who have made it, whether it be finance, medicine, or music. I really would like to see myself doing well, either NOW or in the near future. I'm just ready to do whatever it takes to make money so I don't have to live with roommates and can just do whatever the hell I want.

Very, very few people truly make a good living working in arts and music. Most of the artists and musicians I know work a regular day job on-top of their artist work. There are others who basically live in poverty because they refuse to work in anything other than their hobby area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 08:11 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,335,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Very, very few people truly make a good living working in arts and music. Most of the artists and musicians I know work a regular day job on-top of their artist work. There are others who basically live in poverty because they refuse to work in anything other than their hobby area.
this is very true. I would say to use those as more part-time interests while pursuing a job that will actually pay you a living wage so that you can do the things you want like living on your own. Then if the part-time stuff ends up working out you could quit the regular gig and go for it.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:40 AM

15,353 posts, read 17,612,250 times
What is your college major? Do you have a 4 year degree?

Did you try to find jobs outside of rural Illinois?

If you didn't finish your degree, do that now.

If you did finish your degree, then go focus on finding a job in the big city metro area (pick one, Chicago and Indy are probably closest to you but possibly Cinci, St Louis or even Springfield IL to try to get in with the state govt.

If you still cannot find work in your degree field,consider getting a masters degree but go to a state school (cheaper) that has a good career placement office. USE it. And get an intership while in school.

Another option is to start a masters long enough to qualify for an internship. Then if you can turn that internship into a regular job, then quit the masters program and work instead. Only do this IF you can get a full time job in your career field before finishing the masters. Else complete the masters.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:13 PM

427 posts, read 379,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The problem is... I can't get a job outside of my hobby area! I sometimes wonder if there is a certain type of person that just is forced to find their own way because the traditional doors are closed to them.

Actually had a phone interview today, but he never called and then sent me an email saying I didn't match the qualifications. I'm feeling pretty desperate right about now.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:47 PM

391 posts, read 216,181 times
Quote:
The problem is... I can't get a job outside of my hobby area! I sometimes wonder if there is a certain type of person that just is forced to find their own way because the traditional doors are closed to them.

Actually had a phone interview today, but he never called and then sent me an email saying I didn't match the qualifications. I'm feeling pretty desperate right about now.
Everything you type is "I can't".

Then "you won't".

Fairly simple. Your successful life won't just happen sitting around here talking about it... get on a path and finish it out.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:30 PM

11,682 posts, read 14,429,255 times
Be a lab rat. They make good money for some experiments - no experience necessary.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:02 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,242,803 times
I have no idea if the OP is being serious or not, I try not to judge the unemployed, but.............

Some people truly are unemployable no matter how much effort they put into it or how educated they are. I never would of thought that was possible in America, but in modern America today, it is.

It does happen, I am proof of that.

Always amazes me how Americans like to stomp on their fellow American and blame them instead of giving them a hand up in their most critical time of need, especially when that person is putting forth an unbelievable amount of effort like I was. We will let someone go homeless first before giving them a job and then blame it on them.

I am not saying we are doing this with the OP, or the OP is doing everything possible, just saying in general. When I read threads like this it just triggers something in me because of what I have been through.

I have been through it, and if you experienced it too, it would change you as a person forever.

Bottom line, some people are unemployable in todays society no matter how educated, skilled and experienced they are. Even when they are willing to do everything they can.

There just aren't enough jobs today to reach all people and employers aren't willing to hire just anybody no matter how low of a wage the job is.

Today, you can get behind so much that there is no coming back no matter what you do.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:22 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,856,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
I have no idea if the OP is being serious or not, I try not to judge the unemployed, but.............

Some people truly are unemployable no matter how much effort they put into it or how educated they are. I never would of thought that was possible in America, but in modern America today, it is.

It does happen, I am proof of that.

Always amazes me how Americans like to stomp on their fellow American and blame them instead of giving them a hand up in their most critical time of need, especially when that person is putting forth an unbelievable amount of effort like I was. We will let someone go homeless first before giving them a job and then blame it on them.

I am not saying we are doing this with the OP, or the OP is doing everything possible, just saying in general. When I read threads like this it just triggers something in me because of what I have been through.

I have been through it, and if you experienced it too, it would change you as a person forever.

Bottom line, some people are unemployable in todays society no matter how educated, skilled and experienced they are. Even when they are willing to do everything they can.

There just aren't enough jobs today to reach all people and employers aren't willing to hire just anybody no matter how low of a wage the job is.

Today, you can get behind so much that there is no coming back no matter what you do.
But the OP keeps finding reasons why they can't do this or that.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:39 PM

10,077 posts, read 14,019,795 times
Quote:
I was thinking about learning to be a massage therapist. It's a good fit to the lifestyle I want to lead, and I enjoy the prospect of working with my hands and making people feel good. However, I'm not sure if I would just be doing it for the money or if I actually am interested in the profession itself (it's not very mentally stimulating, and I'm not sure if I really believe it actually "heals" people). They can make upwards of 50k in LA, if they have a good practice, so money is a factor as well as not having to sit in an office all day making my boss happy.

But even if I were to pursue this, or something else (which I think would be a good idea), I'm not sure how I'm going to pay rent until I'm finished with the program. I feel completely unemployable right now. I applied at Bed Bath and Beyond because I enjoy the atmosphere of the store and their products and think I would fit in better there than at Walmart, but it's still just a shot in the dark.

I spent several months after college just trying to get a museum job, because I worked at a museum for two years and thought that I could make a go of it. I gave up and then accepted a pizza delivery job. I feel like my soul and hope for the future dies every terrible job I take on. I don't think that some of the posters on City-Data who try to tell me "to work up from the bottom" understand how hard those jobs on your mental health and on your self worth.

I recently got fired from a job I got through a roommate, delivering flowers from a flower store. I don't think it was a very good fit, but it was another crushing blow to my self esteem. Most of my friends are simply working internships and doing the same type of crappy jobs that I'm struggling to get. I really don't have many friends anyway. Just a handful from college, and then my roommates.
One thing to consider with MT in LA metro.......you will be competing with a lot of illegal labor from S. Korea and China. Sorry I don't have better job advice looking hard myself.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:32 PM

427 posts, read 379,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
One thing to consider with MT in LA metro.......you will be competing with a lot of illegal labor from S. Korea and China. Sorry I don't have better job advice looking hard myself.
Yeah, which is why I'm willing to commute to work. Before, I was only looking in like 30 minutes commutable distance. I'm gonna have to double that in order to find something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or