U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-26-2016, 07:52 AM
 
1,375 posts, read 1,335,327 times
Reputation: 1203

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
Yeah, which is why I'm willing to commute to work. Before, I was only looking in like 30 minutes commutable distance. I'm gonna have to double that in order to find something.
30 min commute in LA - isn't that like 1-2 miles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2016, 05:24 PM
 
427 posts, read 379,396 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
30 min commute in LA - isn't that like 1-2 miles?
If you leave before/after prime rush hour you can get ten miles out of 30 minutes. If you don't you'll never get to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2016, 07:31 AM
 
242 posts, read 164,432 times
Reputation: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat View Post
Everything you type is "I can't".

Then "you won't".

Fairly simple. Your successful life won't just happen sitting around here talking about it... get on a path and finish it out.
This is excellent advice. If you say "I can't" then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, change the attitude and get out there and do something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2016, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Piedmont NC
344 posts, read 323,770 times
Reputation: 292
My daughter is a MT, it is p/t with no benefits and can be exhausting. It is physical labor that you said you disliked. You have to touch people ( who smell, are hairy, loud complainers, inappropriate boors). You aren't convinced it is helpful. I would NOT want you to touch me.
The suggestions to tutor or give music lessons sound perfect for you. Sometimes stores that rent instruments offer lessons, this could help you build referrals.
Are you interested in choirs, marching bands, drum circles? Whatever it is about music you enjoy, can be shared with others. You can teach music at a school, volunteer at a community theater, join a spiritual service. You could offer to sing songs and/or tell stories at your local library. Sometimes they pay for cultural programs of interest, maybe you could demonstrate an unusual instrument such as the dulcimer or zither?
Life is a journey, not a destination. Hop on and ride! ;0)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2016, 04:48 PM
 
427 posts, read 379,396 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
My daughter is a MT, it is p/t with no benefits and can be exhausting. It is physical labor that you said you disliked. You have to touch people ( who smell, are hairy, loud complainers, inappropriate boors). You aren't convinced it is helpful. I would NOT want you to touch me.
The suggestions to tutor or give music lessons sound perfect for you. Sometimes stores that rent instruments offer lessons, this could help you build referrals.
Are you interested in choirs, marching bands, drum circles? Whatever it is about music you enjoy, can be shared with others. You can teach music at a school, volunteer at a community theater, join a spiritual service. You could offer to sing songs and/or tell stories at your local library. Sometimes they pay for cultural programs of interest, maybe you could demonstrate an unusual instrument such as the dulcimer or zither?
Life is a journey, not a destination. Hop on and ride! ;0)
Thank you, it is a good situation but due to my current living situation living (in a long term hostel with 20+ roommates), I can't really play, write, or rehearse music very often right now.

I had an interview for an assembly line job yesterday. I need stability so I can move out of this wretched place. I hope my luck turns around and I land this job and then keep it. I am worried that even if I do start working there I will be harassed for being transsexual. I've always had some trouble working with blue collar types, so I hope this atmosphere is more progressive and might even have women working there (which I doubt is true, but it is what I'm hoping.) I just need to get myself started and it's imperative I get a job NOW.

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 07-29-2016 at 06:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2016, 10:30 PM
 
427 posts, read 379,396 times
Reputation: 428
I really should have stayed in school... lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2016, 02:30 AM
 
2,614 posts, read 2,242,803 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
I really should have stayed in school... lol.
If you went back, what would you major in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2016, 02:45 AM
 
427 posts, read 379,396 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
If you went back, what would you major in?
Massage therapy, as it doesn't seem stressful, pays well in CA, and would free me from the rat race. I am not passionate about it but it is practical and I want to live decently.

My life since graduating college over two years has been lived in pursuit of a job, any job. I really have no purpose other than finding work. I have wasted the past two years of my life on Indeed.com.

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 07-30-2016 at 03:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2016, 07:17 AM
 
1,375 posts, read 1,335,327 times
Reputation: 1203
you shouldn't expect to find a job strictly on indeed right out of college with no relevant work experience. Going back to a few pages ago- you said you went to a prestigious university, but they have no help for job seekers? Not adding up..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2016, 11:44 AM
 
427 posts, read 379,396 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
you shouldn't expect to find a job strictly on indeed right out of college with no relevant work experience. Going back to a few pages ago- you said you went to a prestigious university, but they have no help for job seekers? Not adding up..
It's been two years. I'm not a recent grad so they can't help me. Actually a few months after I was graduated I sent an angry email to them regarding how my education was a waste, etc because I was pissed about not having found a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top