Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 09:05 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times

Advertisements

It doesn't seem like it to me truthfully. Is this whole "recovery" just a complete hoax? I see alot of job openings online, but see them constantly getting reposted (or never being filled).

Last edited by DorianRo; 07-23-2016 at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 09:30 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
It doesn't seem like it to me truthfully. Is this whole "recovery" just a complete hoax? I see alot of job openings online, but seem them constantly getting reposted (or never being filled).
Yes, idealist.org

Old 07-23-2016, 10:05 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,070 times
It really depends on the job and where you are looking. I'm a semi-retired tractor trailer driver, turnover in the industry is over 90% particularly in over the road driving. Generally the money promised by recruiters isn't really there, so people get disillusioned. Then local work, (home everyday) is also available, but either the money isn't really there, or no benefits, or the trucks the companies have are worn out, high mileage, no A/C, etc. then there's a saying in the trucking business. Or they want you to drive something that won't pass a Federal Highway Administration inspection, because there isn't time to get it fixed. The driver jeopardizes their license and lively hood, and often others safety when doing this. (I'm not talking about a light burned out, I'm talking about bald tires, etc.).

There was a place I worked at for a short time a year ago, when I first retired. They are constantly advertising on Craigslist for drivers. The ads say we are "superbusy", 2 months ago they needed "20 drivers", then 10, then 30, their latest ad now says they need 50. The money is NO different than 1yr ago, and not anything really special. They've probably gone through the pool of decent, available and eligible drivers a long time ago. So anyone looking on Craigslist knows who they are and what the deal is. All I can do is wish them lot's of luck.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:08 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
It really depends on the job and where you are looking. I'm a semi-retired tractor trailer driver, turnover in the industry is over 90% particularly in over the road driving. Generally the money promised by recruiters isn't really there, so people get disillusioned. Then local work, (home everyday) is also available, but either the money isn't really there, or no benefits, or the trucks the companies have are worn out, high mileage, no A/C, etc. then there's a saying in the trucking business. Or they want you to drive something that won't pass a Federal Highway Administration inspection, because there isn't time to get it fixed. The driver jeopardizes their license and lively hood, and often others safety when doing this. (I'm not talking about a light burned out, I'm talking about bald tires, etc.).

There was a place I worked at for a short time a year ago, when I first retired. They are constantly advertising on Craigslist for drivers. The ads say we are "superbusy", 2 months ago they needed "20 drivers", then 10, then 30, their latest ad now says they need 50. The money is NO different than 1yr ago, and not anything really special. They've probably gone through the pool of decent, available and eligible drivers a long time ago. So anyone looking on Craigslist knows who they are and what the deal is. All I can do is wish them lot's of luck.
The craiglist jobs in the accounting, customer service and non-profit sections are usually legit.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:34 AM

807 posts, read 897,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
It doesn't seem like it to me truthfully. Is this whole "recovery" just a complete hoax? I see alot of job openings online, but see them constantly getting reposted (or never being filled).
Some jobs are low priority for filling so the hiring managers can afford to be pickier about who they hire, especially if the work load is still being (barely) sufficiently handled by the existing employee base. Other jobs may already have an internal employee in mind for a transfer or promotion.

I don't link job postings that tightly to whatever recovery it is that you're calling a hoax. An economic recovery alone isn't going to make jobs rain down on the streets. There are plenty of other factors in play as has been discussed in these forums a lot, such as offshoring, re-onshoring, automation, industry, etc.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:45 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times
If the job is posted on Craigslist, I say perhaps there is at best a 45% change of the job actually being legit. It is a shame that you have all of these scammers who pray on others misfortune.

Now out of the 45% that are legit, probably 10% will not end up being filled at all due to budget constraints, 10% will be filled by a co-workers friend or family member, and perhaps another 20% will be for nothing more than some MLM pyramid scheme. .

Old 07-23-2016, 10:59 AM

8,208 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Some of them are kind of like phishing scams. They get the desperate to give them their name, address, phone number, and SSN and they're just harvesting info.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:30 PM

68 posts, read 123,240 times
I don't think anyone has the answer to your question. We can all only speculate. Though I do think when things in our life get difficult, we look for a reason to understand why they are difficult. For example, if you are a very hard working loyal smart person who was laid off and can't find a job, you begin to question why no one is interested. So naturally we go fishing around for solutions to that question. Of course there are plenty of people and places that will offer you a solution regardless of whether it is empirical.

It's like the desperation someone feels when he has no money but the landlord has threatened to kick him out. You take a 40% cash advance on a credit card or you go to a pay day loan store and borrow money at 400%.

People don't like uncertainty because it feels so uncomfortable. With change comes sacrifice. In my way I just focus on tomorrow and limit the amount of time I try to explain to myself what I know really doesn't matter. If you need a job, it really doesn't matter how many job postings there are because you will still need a job. So by focusing on whether they are real you are just taking effort away from where it should be focused.

(I'll step off my soapbox now)

Old 07-24-2016, 02:15 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
Friend of mine is a retail store manager. They advertise jobs 24/7/365 whether they are hiring or not. I know the grocery store I shop at does the same thing. Lots of food places have permanent stickers saying they are hiring so they must be doing it too. I believe it is industry wide for low wage jobs.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:32 AM

427 posts, read 499,780 times
I wonder about this too. I see the same ads from the same companies on Craigslist everyday. Do they really need that many deli clerks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search