U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 06:59 AM

595 posts, read 1,028,202 times

Advertisements

Have already had their say.

I get laid off and now, can't get hired for anything but sweatshop telemarketing or one company keeps sending me janitor/maint/warehouse openings when I applied for office work and have no experience in those areas. Recruiters are no help church people tell me to take the menial job and be thankful.

Well, I guess I could call to thank them from my cell phone because I will be homeless and no vehicle either.

I was making $15 an hour in 1993 as an office clerk. With employer paid benefits because our wages were not competitive.

If anyone has any possible solutions, inbox me. I've reached out to friends and family and have basically been told "You got yourself here, you get yourself out no one owes you a recommendation, endorsement or a job.

Well, my church finally said just that Without a good support system no one climbs out of trouble and they referred me to a halfway house for newly released prisoners that said I've been on my own and they are geared for people who are not used to coming and going and living as they please. Very strict 40 hr work commitment but you must be back before 6 pm bus commute included. Allowing two hours each way still won't work the busses don't run til 6 am or later depending on where you start. Wow, so they basically have ruled out any of the $10-12 hr govt jobs downtown. And yep, forget car insurance or taking care of one let alone save up for one. But everywhere else treats me like a criminal/felon/addict and none is true.

Many jobs want your availability wide open including nights, weekends, and holidays. So I stay with roommates who have stolen electronics, my ID and I'm not allowed to eat there or watch TV. They suggested I get a traveling job or boyfriend and pay them rent for months but was never here like a previous roommate did. He was a roofer or something and made much more money than I and the landlady let it slip he ate dinner with them and breakfast on weekends. So BS on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 08:26 AM

16,152 posts, read 12,948,856 times
You have access to a computer, so you can apply for jobs. Don't waste your time whining here, get busy. Seems like you made your bed, so now lay in it.

There are tons of jobs out there for people who skipped out of school, come out of prison or rehab.

Walk into a fast food restaurant and get a job or one of those you already mentioned. If you think you are too good for them - as you make it sound - then I guess you will be homeless. Nobody is running after you to throw awesome jobs after you. You have to put in some effort like everybody else.

Sorry to be harsh. I know the truth hurts sometimes.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:29 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,608 posts, read 748,109 times
OP...wish I had something for you, but our world has changed from back in the day when you could work 30 years for one company and get a pension.

White, black or brown...lots of beached whales out there.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/201...leNewsweek.jpg

Old 07-28-2016, 08:39 AM

2,614 posts, read 2,258,751 times
No one cares about humanity in society for the most part.

Instead of people giving you a hand up they would rather stomp you down at your greatest time of need.

Just the way the world works.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:49 PM

11,252 posts, read 8,629,529 times
OP, you are in a critical situation. Take ANY job you can get now to put money in your pocket. You can get an office job later.

Find someone who can front you enough money for the closest, cheapest hotel you can find. Better yet, see if someone will let you stay with them for a month so you can get a couple of paychecks under your belt.

Focus on cash and lodging for now.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:37 AM

68 posts, read 68,182 times
Others are right. You are going to get people who think it is their duty to tell you you are at a low in your life and it must be by your own doing. These tend to be people who don't have an ability see anything other than black/white. Ignore them because they don't matter.

Take a job to survive, you are not in a position to be choosy. Once you have some stability, start expanding your base until you can get what you are searching for. Feelings cloud judgement, and the longer others are guiding your ship the better change it will sink -- because they have no consequences of such a thing happening only you do.

Take a call center job and focus on right now, then worry about tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or