U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 11:27 AM

4,662 posts, read 2,295,940 times

Advertisements

Been posting some apps on Indeed and noticed that more employers are requesting you to answer a Yes or No question regarding your location on there. For example, I just applied for a great position at a company which is literally right down the road from me. Now I only live in the next town over, but do you think the company filters out any apps when an applicant answers No to the "Are you in (insert specific city name here)" question? I know they want to reduce out-of-state candidates or anyone with a long distance commute, and maybe I'm a bit paranoid since its a great job, but I really hope I'm not at the mercy of some bad filtering even though I could walk to the place if I had to. The last two times I checked No were jobs which were about 8 miles away and never heard back from them so the Indeed questions have me a bit paranoid at the moment haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 11:39 AM

68 posts, read 67,221 times
Does the employer have a site other than Indeed you can use to apply? If so, I would do that and avoid Indeed. What they are telling you is that they get spammed with frivolous applications.

Maybe you could even call? If it is down the street maybe you can go? If you want the job I am not sure you should use Indeed as your liaison.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:13 PM

Thanks Ab. It is a small company and doesn't have a jobs section on their own website. And its not just them, though, I have noticed more and more employers on Indeed are asking this now. I just don't know if the software automatically dismisses a user who selects No even though they still are a local candidate who might live in the same county.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:34 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,245,375 times
It's up to the employer. Lots of employers only like to hire local candidates and will use the question to disqualify you. There is no way to know unless someone in HR tells you, and that is never going to happen no matter how true it is.

The employers have the upper hand when you are filling out online applications.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
It's up to the employer. Lots of employers only like to hire local candidates and will use the question to disqualify you. There is no way to know unless someone in HR tells you, and that is never going to happen no matter how true it is.

The employers have the upper hand when you are filling out online applications.
Thanks. It's kinda open-ended though as it doesn't literally ask whether you "live in" the company's town, but rather are you "in" the company's town. Perhaps I could stretch it and tell them I thought they meant as in "the area", or sure, I was in the town when I drove through it and filled out the app on my phone.

Not only this but I have seen a lot of contradicting information from employers on Indeed within the past year, especially when a HR person writes in the body of the posting "1 year of customer service experience preferred" and then you apply and have to answer the "do you have 1 year of required customer service experience?" question.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:34 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,337,578 times
if you're that close i would just answer "yes" - or even if you're planning to move there on your own dime i'd answer "yes". they don't want out of state or out of area folks who are going to be an extra expense (and/or hassle) but if you're answering "no" then i assume you are being filtered out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or