Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 09:13 AM

118 posts, read 210,798 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some advice after a recent job interview.

I applied for a full time job at a local hospital (facilities) and I managed to get an interview in the same week.

I just want to start out with, the "talent acquisition" person I spoke with over the phone asked me if I could potentially work the 11pm-7am shift. My reply was "I am open to it, however thats not really the shift I want or need right now, I would really like to work the other shift, but I guess I could do it if thats the only shift that was left"

Red flag #1-When I showed up for the interview, somehow saying I was open to the other shift translated into "Oh, you're the 11-7 interview right? You're here to work 11-7?" When I gave them the backstory, they replied with
"Well, we just really need to hire for that shift first. Thats the one we'd like to fill right now, and, you know, we need to know if you can handle that shift...its not for everybody, and if you don't think you can handle it...we can't continue with the interview...we'll just move on."

I feel like I'm getting screwed over and I don't even have the job yet! I wasn't about to walk away from an interview.

Red flag #2 It felt more like a disciplinary hearing than an interview. I've been to a lot of interviews for various (mostly unskilled) jobs, and I have to say this was by far, the toughest, longest, most in depth interview I have ever been to. Remember this is facilities (cleaning). It was very evident to me that the managers clearly have an issue with the current workforce. I felt like they wanted to "put me in my place" so to speak before I even got the job. They even asked me if I would give them any "pushback" or cause any problems. I said, "Even if I didn't like something you had me do, I probably wouldn't say anything. I would just keep my mouth shut and do it".

Thats where red flag #3 comes in, one of the managers looked at me square in the eye and said "OH, IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM, YOU LET ME KNOW! WE CAN COME RIGHT IN THIS ROOM, AND WE CAN HAVE IT OUT! YOU CAN TELL ME WHAT YOUR PROBLEM IS... STRAIGHT TO MY FACE!..SO LONG AS I GET MY SAY IN THE END!"

I just went I don't know, I don't want any problems, sir...

In the end they seemed to almost try and scale back a little bit from the tough talk because they liked me and saw that I had experience. They told me I would be getting an "offer" from HR and my pay is based on years of experience, etc.

Red flag #4-The "talent acquisition" person has been calling me and asks's me questions like "So, the pay is around $13/hr, do you think that is something you would be willing to work for?" But I thought I was getting an "offer.." ? Almost as if at the end of the process this guy is going to screw me over (again) and say something along the lines of "..But you said you were willing to work for that pay.."

Red flag #5- I found out from a relative and from creeping on one of the managers Facebook this isn't actually a hospital job. You are actually working for some OTHER company that the Hospital contracts out to, which I was never made aware of and was never told. I don't even know what this company name is.

Anyways, it just seems like there are a lot of "red flags" in my mind. I just need some advice, do you think I am overthinking this? The problem is that if I took the job, I can't leave or quit because I have a wife/kids. I don't want to take the job and say "wow, this was a huge mistake".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 09:44 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
Your instincts are right. This is a take it only if you are desperate type jobs. It sounds like you will be a contractor ie an employee of the agency (could be 1099 which given the defined hours would be illegal). They tried to bait and switch you into the 11-7 shift. As for the hostile interview, that is pretty typical from what I have seen now a days. They either torment you with HR psychobabble nonsense or grill you like a perp, tear you apart, then pat themselves on the back with the delusion they are doing a good job preventing a bad hire when they are acting like s-heads and alienating good talent.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:51 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
As I always say, humans have evolved over millions of years to develop that gut instinct that warns of bad situations.

Trust it.

Do you really want to work for a manager that is openly hostile and antagonistic towards you in the interview?

And how many times have people fallen for the verbal "you'll be getting an offer soon" schtick?

I also think some of your responses might have spurred the reactions of the staff. They were looking for someone that's eager to work the least desirable shift, a "yes-man," but your hesitant and in some ways vaguely challenging answers probably didn't rub them the right way. Not saying this as a hit against you, but just saying it could be a reason.

Anyhow, IF you get a job offer and you accept, don't be shocked if you show up and then you get assigned the night shift anyways due to some 'technicality' (sorry, but we had no choice...)

Old 06-27-2016, 09:56 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times
#1 - Why is this a red flag? They may have multiple positions available in many shifts but the 11-7 is the one with the highest priority. You even said you were open to it as a last resort.

#2 - A rigorous interview is not necessarily a red flag. As you said, they probably had problems with previous hires and now are doing strict due diligence. A red flag would be if they were unprofessional or used foul language, etc.

#3 - Maybe a red flag if you don't like the hiring manager's demeanor or if they are someone you wouldn't like working for.

#4 - This is the salary negotiation stage. Before extending an official offer, they need to know what salary you will accept.

#5 - Why is this a red flag?

Old 06-27-2016, 10:15 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,241 times
Red flag #1 Well you did say you could do that shift, and they've made it clear that's what they wanted. How are you being screwed over? They were straight up with you.

Red flag #2 Perhaps this has a lot to do with the previous experience that the company has and that they have often had to deal with undisciplined or difficult employees. It sounds like they wanted to assert themselves clearly. It sounds unpleasant (interviews are often unpleasant all round) but I wouldn't call this a red flag.

Red flag #3 This doesn't sound very nice either. A lot of cleaners are very passive people, if you feel that your personalities would seriously clash than yes maybe this is a red flag.

Red flag #4-Can't see how you're being screwed over, it's an offer..?

Red flag #5-This is entirely normal, they may operate as an agency instead and have built a commercial relationship with the hospital. Lots of companies do this.[/quote]

Old 06-27-2016, 11:37 AM

68 posts, read 123,309 times
I don't think you need any of us to tell you what to do; you already know what to do. What you are wanting us to do is to tell you it is ok. In my opinion I would run. But that is just me...

Old 06-27-2016, 12:27 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
I am glad you are overthinking it and being precautious.

walk away knowing you took the high road to being treated humanely.

managements problems are not yours to succumb to.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:49 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Some of these responses, I mean, seriously?

There's absolutely nothing wrong or concerning about a manager that straight up challenges and dares an applicant and gives a thinly veiled threat about being right in the end?

Alrighty then.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:03 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
It sounds like you have your answer... If anyone threatened me during an interview, I would run far away. There is just no reason for #3 at all. It's an interview. If you don't like the applicant's attitude, don't hire him. It's an interview for the employee as well. If the employer is going to threaten applicants during the interview when they should be on their best behavior to try to attract employees, that's a sign that you just need to move on.

Last edited by RamenAddict; 06-27-2016 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-27-2016, 05:09 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
It's a forest of red flags. And no, you're not overthinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search